Wondering if an E-Type still exists - HTW 21B

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Hello Paul
Great Britain

#1 Wondering if an E-Type still exists - HTW 21B

Post by Hello Paul » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Hello All,

The other day I was wondering if my late parents' E-Type might still be around - just out of interest. It was (if I recall correctly) a S1 3.8 fixed head in gun-metal grey. The number plate was HTW 21B (I think it might have had the registration changed, so it might not be a 1964). I checked its MOT status online, and the date of last V5C issued was apparently 6 August 2005, so not that long ago in the grand scheme of E-Types.

So I thought I'd join the forum and ask if anyone might know of it!

Thanks,

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wondering if an E-Type still exists - HTW 21B

Post by rswaffie » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi
It is ‘62 car. It hasn’t been taxed since 1978, so the 2005 v5 date may be when someone bought it as a non-runner. I suspect it is still a non-runner, possibly awaiting restoration or too far gone and has been stripped. Another possibility is that it has been exported but the dvla not informed?
Xkedata doesn’t bring anything up for that reg either. Were they the first owners?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Hello Paul
Great Britain

#3 Re: Wondering if an E-Type still exists - HTW 21B

Post by Hello Paul » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks @rswaffie for that info. Disappointing to hear that it may no longer exist!

They weren't the first owners - apparently they went out to buy a kitchen sink, saw the E-Type, secondhand, for sale (at a dealership I think) and bought that instead! It would have probably been around the late 60s when they bought it. My sister was born in 1969, and they still had it when she was a baby; I heard stories (that would horrify modern-day mums who wouldn't dare put their precious fat baby Tarquin in anything smaller than a 3-tonne SUV) such as doing 140mph with her in a carry-cot perched behind the seats. But I think they sold it before I was born (1971).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#4 Re: Wondering if an E-Type still exists - HTW 21B

Post by Simon P » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:24 pm

Hello Paul wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:46 pm
I heard stories (that would horrify modern-day mums who wouldn't dare put their precious fat baby Tarquin in anything smaller than a 3-tonne SUV) such as doing 140mph with her in a carry-cot perched behind the seats.
Funnily enough, that's exactly where I spent my formative years! :bigrin:

(Your sister was lucky: once I'd outgrown the carry-cot, I was just left to roll around on the parcel shelf unaided.... :shock: )
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#5 Re: Wondering if an E-Type still exists - HTW 21B

Post by dlgis » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:11 pm

You could try one of the classic car magazines that has a “does it still exist” section. For example each month Classic and Sportscar Magazine will place a pic and a few words about 3 cars where a previous owner is asking if it still exists. There’s a chap you need to email whose details i could pm you if you don’t have a copy of the mag.
Darryl
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic