New member - first foray into classics

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
Stuart.C
Great Britain

#1 New member - first foray into classics

Post by Stuart.C » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Evening all - another new member here having just picked up an S2 2+2 this weekend. Whilst I've never really been one for new cars, this is by far the earliest car I've ever had/driven despite always being a fan of classics.

I'm a mechanical engineer by background (not that I am an engineer by profession sadly) so tend to do 99% of my own work on my vehicles so hoping this forum will provide the help I will inevitably need on the E-Type.

My era has mainly been one of early 90's Japanese cars so I'm very familiar with rust.

Before its pointed out - I know I really should change the plate back to the original square.
Stuart
1970 S2 2+2 | 2001 DB7 Vantage | 2002 911 C4S | 1993 Skyline R33
1991 CRX Vtec | 2013 RS4 Avant

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: New member - first foray into classics

Post by Gfhug » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:54 pm

Stuart, welcome to the best place for all things E Type, ask questions, search here for previous answers to similar topics and you’ll get friendly help and advice.
NO! Don’t change the number plate for the square one, they look hideous. Now you’ve got the oblong one the thing to do is get rid of the wheelbarrow exhaust tailpipes. Easily done and makes the car much nicer to look at. For you and the drivers behind.

Please add your name and car type to the signature area, it helps people address you correctly (though your user name is good there) and if we can see which car you’ve got then answering questions is so much easier.

Have fun

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#3 Re: New member - first foray into classics

Post by JerryL770 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:45 pm

Welcome Stuart, I hope you find the answers to all the questions you will have. If you are a Mechanical Engineer by background I reckon you must be a professional Engineer with the ability to maintain your vehicles in a professional engineering way. :wink:

Enough of that!! I agree absolutely with Geoff, this is what I recommend you do:
IMG_4167ss.JPG
IMG_4167ss.JPG (240.15 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
Further enhance the view by removing the poor Jaguar reverse lights and fit LED reverse/brake lights from a certain member on here. Easy to fit in the existing lenses by prising out the red lens next to the reflector and glueing in the replacement. No need to purchase costly Elan +2 tail light sets.

Jerry
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: New member - first foray into classics

Post by mgcjag » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:54 pm

Hi Stuart......welcom to the forum.....im sure you will find it very usefull.....please try to put your name and car model in the signature area.......very nice looking 2+2......personally i prefer a S2 looking like a S2.....so for me it would be the square numberplate.......your car have it how you want......all the best......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Stuart.C
Great Britain

#5 Re: New member - first foray into classics

Post by Stuart.C » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:20 am

Thanks for the welcome. I'm assuming that both of those lights hanging are meant to be reverse lights as only one of mine is lighting up. I expect its just a bulb - a job for the weekend. I will update my signature also to cover exactly which model it is.

........and now just to disgust you all, one of my other cars at the other end of the spectrum. I expect this may mix opinion slightly :lol:

Stuart
1970 S2 2+2 | 2001 DB7 Vantage | 2002 911 C4S | 1993 Skyline R33
1991 CRX Vtec | 2013 RS4 Avant

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#6 Re: New member - first foray into classics

Post by malcolm » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:25 am

Could be a bulb, but the switch on the gearbox often fails. I had a new one that failed after a month. The replacement lasted about 4 months!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#7 Re: New member - first foray into classics

Post by dlgis » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:29 am

Welcome to the forum Stuart, i got my etype just before Christmas and the last time i had a car of that age they weren’t called classics, just old bangers! That’s a fabulous looking Skyline you have there, a friend of mine does quite a lot of work on Skylines and used to look after my old track car:

Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic