Hello from Tulsa, OK

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
TulsaMat
United States of America

#1 Hello from Tulsa, OK

Post by TulsaMat » Mon May 16, 2022 1:27 pm

Hello everyone. So I’m working on my neighbors 1973 V12 convertible. It hasn’t run for 12+ years. Neighbor installed a new fuel pump in the last year or so. He was nice enough to prep car for me. Get in on stands, remove the hood. So I tested the pump, fixed a few leaks, confirmed fuel to engine, charged a battery multiple times, confirmed spark, and with lots of starter fluid (and battery charges) got it running. The more it ran, the better it ran. Balanced the carbs a little bit (floating ball tool), bled front brakes and even took it for a short spin. Very exciting. So now, I’ve replaced all coolant hoses, belts, front shocks, dropped the rear IRS cage to replace brakes, rotors, and shocks, install remote bleed lines, and clean it up.

Speaking of brakes, why is it impossible to get a new piston in the front caliper after inserting a new seal……I wasn’t expecting that to be what breaks my spirit working a Jaguar for the first time. Is there a special trick or tool I’m missing. I tried a block of wood and hammer to push it in and all that did was cut the seal……Strike 1.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Hello from Tulsa, OK

Post by Gfhug » Mon May 16, 2022 4:23 pm

Hello Tulsa or are you Mat? Whichever welcome to the best place for all things E Type. Also as you’re Stateside you can find help on jaglovers, though that will include other Jaguars not just the E.
I presume you’ll fit new tyres (note spelling :wink: it’s one of the way we have a bit of fun as well as offering help)
As for the V12 I’m not knowledgeable but there are others who should be able to answer and the search function is a good way of finding info as well as in the knowledge section. Have you tried red rubber grease on the brake seals? That can help them settle in easier.

Good luck

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic