New potential owner

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#1 New potential owner

Post by cmdrew » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:36 am

Hi All,
Like many I grew up with a picture of an E Type on my bedroom wall even though they were (just) out of production when I first started with an interest in cars. I am now looking around to find something which is affordable and which I can use regularly. My budget only really stretches to the series 3 coupe and even then not one of the 'better' restored cars being under £40K. I am located in North Lincolnshire in the UK and so far have only been to see 1 which was a US import. It was very solid with no signs of rust, paintwork was OK but not perfect but the interior really needs some work (for me) as I am used to more modern stuff and ripped seats just won't cut it!

Although I have done some reading, I really don't know much about classic cars in general or E Types specifically and am pretty much relying on what the vendor tells me which is never a good thing! So the hunt continues. I have just found a Series 2 roadster which is almost within budget, so I assume there is a story and a raft of issues with it but may go to see just in case!
Chris Drew
SII Roadster in Red (looking like a bit of a project!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: New potential owner

Post by mgcjag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:57 am

Hi Welcom to the forum...whats your name...please try to put in in the signature area.....best advice i could give you is take your time and just get out and look at as many cars as you can( just to gain experiance)...but dont get talked into buying them....unfortunatly as you know your buget is on the low side so you will be looking at the cheaper cars but the cost of then getting it to your desired condition could be high......so consider upping your buget and buying one in a condition where you dont have immediate expense. ......an extra £5k should buy you a very reasonable 2+2.... personsly i would consider a 6 cylinder car over V12 if your not very experianced with classics purely becaus it will be easier and cheaper to work on......enjoy your time looking......and post an ad in our wanted section....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#3 Re: New potential owner

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:35 am

As usual, Steve is absolutely correct. I would just add to his comments that you should get an expert opinion on anything you are considering buying. They will certainly find things you are likely to miss and will help to keep your feet on the ground.

Rust is the main enemy. A broken engine or suspension can be fixed relatively easily but a rotted out body is a world of pain if it's not your area of expertise.

Good luck and enjoy the search.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
cmdrew
Great Britain

#4 Re: New potential owner

Post by cmdrew » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:43 pm

Excellent advice - unfortunately I have ignored it all as I have just bought what to me seems like an absolute bargain. Its a 1969 Series 2 4.2 Manual Roadster in red! It is LHD (I'm in the UK) but to be honest I don't think in the roadster this will matter as I will only use it with the top down so visibility won't be a problem. It seems very solid and although the seller was saying the paintwork wasn't that great, it looks good enough to me as I don't want a concourse car, just something I can get in and use. Its had a lot of new parts fitted since its arrival in the UK but only time will tell. Of course there will be additional expense I'm sure but I lusted after a roadster but didn't think I would get one near my budget (it was a bit over!)

I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions once it arrives even though it is doubtful it will get out much if at all now the weather is turning :-(
Chris Drew
SII Roadster in Red (looking like a bit of a project!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: New potential owner

Post by mgcjag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:58 pm

Well done.....post some photos. .....and fire away with questions....worth checking the car details on http://www.xkedata.com/ ....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: New potential owner

Post by Gfhug » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:08 pm

Chris, as Steve says, well done. Why not have someone with experience look over the car to give you some ideas of the best way to tackle things? Converting LHD-RHD can be done with the help of the guide in the knowledge section. You’ve probably got Stormberg carbs so look up advice on how to best use and set them up to get the best out of them. Changing to triple SUs is expensive, best part of £5000 at latest prices, but you might get lucky if you would like to go that route. Though drive the car first and enjoy it, that sort of money buys a lot of petrol even at today’s prices. Hoods can be poor fit so be prepared to take a towel or two if you might end up out in the wet. And don’t just drive on warm, sunny days, go out whenever it’s dry to gain experience and enjoyment.
Yes, post pictures, it’s always good to see someone’s new possession. And ask questions, this is by far the best place for help, advice and some good humour.

Have fun!

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic