Page 1 of 1

#1 New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2025 6:36 pm
by KJP
Hi all, just thought I’d introduce myself, recently taken early retirement, so more time to play with cars.
Don’t currently own a E Type but have always wanted one, but I do own 2 classic Minis, one of which I’ve completed a full nut & bolt restoration, completing most of it myself apart from welding ( more learning to do there)

As a youngster my father had many XJ6’s and my 1st driving experience was in one whilst on our usual summer holidays to Ireland ( but that’s another story), so I am partially familiar with Jag’s.

So I’m thinking of selling one (or maybe both) Mini to help fund a new project.

So I’ve seen a few entry level E-type’s (circa £30k) online, but there are a couple of things that I could do with some help with.

1. I’ve never even sat in one! So would I fit and be comfy????
2. What are the areas to look out for?

I know trying to do this on a budget will be tricky but I’m hoping that with the ability to be able to do quite a lot myself & time on my hands I could work on it.

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Kieran

#2 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2025 7:33 pm
by Gfhug
Kieran, welcome to the best place for all things E Type.
You ask about fitting into one. Are you over six feet tall? If so a 2+2 would be most suitable. Otherwise you’ll fit in.
If your budget is around £30k then don’t expect to find a quality car. And expect to spend twice as much to get it into decent condition. That’s assuming you can do all the work.
What to look for: rust, rust and rust. The E has large complex curve panels and lots of hidden sections that are prone to rust.
If you tell us where you are then maybe someone local to you will let you sit in their car and take you for a drive to let you learn more about an E Type.
Please read through the knowledge section to learn more about the E Type, try to look at lots of cars for sale, get to understand them better and if you do see a car you’re thinking of buying then get an expert (a proper expert, not someone who claims to know old cars but someone who really knows the E) to assess the car and advise you. Paying a few hundred pounds to get that opinion will pay you back one hundred per cent.

Good hunting

Geoff

#3 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2025 4:24 pm
by KJP
Thanks Geoff,

I’m sure I’ll fit fine as I’m just 6 foot, would be good to get an idea.

I suspect I will have to review my budget or/and wait a while.

I’m in St.Albans, Herts , if anyone is brave enough to let me try one out for size?
I’m also keeping an eye out for local car shows where there might be some.

Thanks for the info so far.

#4 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2025 4:26 pm
by DWW
Hi Kieran, welcome to the best e type I know. Geoff’s reply was as comprehensive as possible with the info you supplied. These cars are a lot more complicated to restore than most run of the mill classics. As mentioned rust should be your primary concern and much of it can be hidden, sills, floors, boot and battery tray are the easiest to check. The state of the chrome fittings is also a good indication. Also important is that the car is complete as parts are pricy and many replacements are ‘after market’ so the potential of re-conditioning original items is a big plus. This is not to put you off but rather to emphasize how important is a pre purchase inspection by a knowledgeable person is essential.

#5 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2025 4:30 pm
by DWW
My car is stored on a farm in Harpenden, quite close to St Albans. Let me know if you would like to meet up there some time and try your fitment and look over a complete car.

#6 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2025 4:45 pm
by Gfhug
Kieran, you’re not far from Letchworth where one of our moderators is based with his E Type restoration company. He won’t have any cars close to your budget but is a very well respected and knowledgeable person regarding all things E Type. You could try giving Angus Moss a call and see about visiting and learning more:
https://www.mossjaguar.com/index.html#

Geoff

#7 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2025 5:46 pm
by KJP
DWW wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 28, 2025 4:30 pm
My car is stored on a farm in Harpenden, quite close to St Albans. Let me know if you would like to meet up there some time and try your fitment and look over a complete car.

Thanks Danny, for both replies, I'd love to see your car, so let me know when would suit you, there's no rush and I'm pretty flexible with days/time as I'm retired.

Appreciate the offer, Thanks

Kieran

#8 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2025 5:48 pm
by KJP
Gfhug wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 28, 2025 4:45 pm
Kieran, you’re not far from Letchworth where one of our moderators is based with his E Type restoration company. He won’t have any cars close to your budget but is a very well respected and knowledgeable person regarding all things E Type. You could try giving Angus Moss a call and see about visiting and learning more:
https://www.mossjaguar.com/index.html#

Geoff
Thanks Geoff,

I'll get in touch with him once I've done some more research and possibly seen a few in person.

Kieran

#9 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2025 3:00 pm
by macman
Hi,
Buy The Essential Buyers Guide,
Jaguar E Type
By Peter Crispin.
I found this to be well worth the money.
All the best
Rob Gill

#10 Re: New Member, looking for advise/help

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2025 3:08 pm
by Mark Gordon
:yeahthat: