Page 1 of 1

#1 series 3 finished

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:37 am
by mark p
Series 3 now finished. ImageImageImageImage

#2

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:01 pm
by snowdmc
looks fantastic, did have one question being an L reg is it manufactured after 1st Jan 73 or before, only reason i ask is the L reg runs from 1 August 1972 ? 31 July 1973 as you know. But you can only have Silver on Black plates prior to 1st Jan 73. Have seen some people have them on cars before up to July 73 - although i dont know of anyone being caught out by it, although a stringent MOTer might fail it.....

Was just intruiged thats all.

Looks beautiful :)

#3

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:27 pm
by mark p
Not exactly sure as the car is not mine and I've not seen the log book, it has to be sold now to finance the work on the series 1 behind it.
Thanks for the interest.
Mark P

#4

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:32 pm
by SESH
Date of First Registration 16 03 1973

Technically can't display black & silver number plates.

#5

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:55 pm
by Simon P
I own a (non E-type) 1975 'P'-reg car on black and silver plates. Never had a problem to date (touch wood).

#6

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:10 pm
by mark p
Not many traffic cops around who are old enough to know i suppose.

#7

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:20 pm
by snowdmc
you're right there Mark, i actually need a judgement from you guys, the reason i was looking at your car is the silver on black definitely suits the BRG colour. However after looks to get plates for mine (imported not yet registered) the colour is signal red, and i wondered if white and black would look better, its a tough call. Thoughts?

#8

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:03 pm
by PeterCrespin
White on black does suit signal red.

I just painted the 2+2 OSG and have a silver on black front plate. It looks nice and almost like a black-only stencil on the silver paint. But at the back (Series 1-style S1.5) I have the whole number plate recess filled with a large black alloy plate which did carry a silver-border pressed alloy plate. It just looked odd with the long narrow border 'floating' in a sea of black, so I switched to white letters direct onto the large black background and it looks ten times better IMHO. I 'might' try painting the border black on the pressed plate and offering that up again (it will cover the white letters completely) but I do like the old style white on black.

Pete

#9

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 pm
by mark p
at the end of the day "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and after many years in the trade I could only suggest the options, enc an image of a red car we have with a white plate, I'm not sure but I'm thinking that you may need the yellow plate at the rear if you have a white plate at the front.
Image

#10

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:34 pm
by mark p
i'll post another pic I have a work tomorrow with a signal red car with white on black plates

#11

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:37 pm
by mark p
or Image