Page 1 of 1

#1 Hello everybody!

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm
by JagTheOne
Hi guys, let me introduce myself and my ride. My name is Martin and my ride is 1965 S1 4.2 FHC (doesn't has a name yet). For now I'm just looking here for some inspiration. The car is waiting for complete restoration. My vison is to have stock looking car with as much torque as possible.

I plan to use orginal triple SU carbs, stock induction system with ITG filter, very lightly ported head, standard size sainless valves, 9:1 compression, probably piper fast road cams, cast exhaust manifold and Classicfabs Big Bore pipes. Gearbox will be original 4-speed and the diff will have 3.07:1 ratio. Front brakes will be upgraded to Wilwood or AP Racing kit.

That's the plan for now however it's not final...

Image

#2

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:20 pm
by christopher storey
Welcome. If you want as much torque as possible leave the engine alone. If you alter the cams you will be likely to lose the wonderful mid range torque which it possesses . Similarly, the airflow capacity of the head in its standard form is ample. If you really must change, get an XJ6 series 3 head and use that

#3

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 pm
by JagTheOne
Hi Christopher. Regarding the modification of the head. I just want to match inlet ports with manifold and maybe remove the valve guide bosses. Since it is a number matching car I don't want to use other head. I also don't want to have any radical cams. I'm just wondering if the low and mid range torque can be improved with slightly higher lift or few more degrees of timing.

I don't have a lot of experience with these engines so I will appreciate any tips or advices from you guys who have VSE or Rob Beere engines...

#4

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:45 am
by JagTheOne
I would like to share some little secrets of my car.

First one I found when I was in a mood to remove all old stickers from windows. Who the hell was Pinkerton? After a little time spent with google I think I will keep this one.

Image

Second one I found yesterday when I was looking to the parts manual and searching for some diff parts. My car is mentioned on the page 72.

Image

I hope that there will be more of them... :roll: