Page 1 of 1

#1 Another Swede is signing in - wish me good luck!

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 am
by LarsR
Hello everbody.

Let me introduce myself as the craziest man on the globe or at least on this forum.

I just bought something that 99 out of 100 would never touch.

A totally messed up rusty 1967 Jaguar E-type series 1.5 2+2. I got it almost for free so I thought I should give it a try and give the "car" a chance to be resurrected.

It was taken off the road in Florida 1988, exported to Belgium in 2004 and later moved to Sweden. The previous owner never bothered to restore the car and let it rot under a tarpaulin since 2006.

Beware I am going to bombard the forum with a lot of questions as this is the first time I'm restoring a car. :lol:

So when that's written, let me introduce myself.

My name is Lars, living in the south part of Sweden. 51 years of age. I have two daughters and a beautiful wife. I am not really a "car guy" but always liked to fix and do light repairs on my cars.

This project is going to be the challenge of my life and with the experience I've got this far, I am quite sure I will complete this "wreck" and get it on the road again. When this will happen I don't know but it's going to happen. I will do most of the works in my garage.

Wish me good luck on the journey! :roll:

Here are a couple of pictures on the outside. The interior is even worse and totally rotten.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

//Lars

#2

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 am
by Kes
Looks like most of that will polish out...
Seriously, I hope you have no idea of what you've undertaken. If I were you I'd run away now.

#3

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:12 am
by LarsR
Kes wrote:Looks like most of that will polish out...
Seriously, I hope you have no idea of what you've undertaken. If I were you I'd run away now.
I know. I've been re-thinking a hundred times already but I am so attempted to continue and will give it a go.

I've started the strip off and will consider when I have the body in a Rotisserie if it's worth to continue. If not I'll start to sell parts from the car and look around for an series 1 OTS in slightly better condition but that will need a severe restoration.
:roll:

#4

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:00 am
by Heuer
Welcome Lars! That is one hell of a project you have there but you need to carefully consider whether restoration is financially worthwhile given it is a S2 2+2 Auto and a rust free (manual) one is only bidding to $7,000 on eBay: http://tinyurl.com/bqjuazc

#5 Re: Another Swede is signing in - wish me good luck!

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:18 am
by stef
Hej Lars,

Ja du ar galen.

Yes, you are crazy.

But, everything is possible. It will be like building a car from scratch. I think you will need to hook up a big trailer and go across to England for a few spares.

My E just arrived from the 'south of Sweden' (of all places) to Sydney. You may have seen it around

Image

LarsR wrote:Hello everbody.

Let me introduce myself as the craziest man on the globe or at least on this forum.

...
//Lars

#6 Re: Another Swede is signing in - wish me good luck!

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 pm
by LarsR
stef wrote:Hej Lars,

Ja du ar galen.

Yes, you are crazy.

But, everything is possible. It will be like building a car from scratch. I think you will need to hook up a big trailer and go across to England for a few spares.

My E just arrived from the 'south of Sweden' (of all places) to Sydney. You may have seen it around
Hi Stef,

Very nice car!

Are you a Swede living in Australia or was it just a coincidence that you bought one in Sweden? I've never seen that one in person. In fact I can't remember when I saw an OTS in Sweden last.

Yes, probably from scratch but as I am used to restore things so I will do and make as much as possible myself. The interior for sure will be on my board as all the equipment is in the family. Also a lot of the plates will be self made or by my father-in-law, he's a retired sheet-metal worker.

The only thing I know I don't have a clue about is the fine tuning of the engine/transmission and the IRS. But time will tell if I dive in to that too. It'sa couple of years ahead so I'll probably learn a lot on the way but I think it's best to leave that to a pro. :lol:

#7

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:59 pm
by LarsR
Heuer wrote:Welcome Lars! That is one hell of a project you have there but you need to carefully consider whether restoration is financially worthwhile given it is a S2 2+2 Auto and a rust free (manual) one is only bidding to $7,000 on eBay: http://tinyurl.com/bqjuazc
Thank you Heurer!

On top on the sale price I have to add shipping, VAT and Import taxes. In all +30% + shipping from the US. If it was a series 1 for that money I would consider bidding.

I know it's a huge challenge but it's only rust :lol: I am a bit worried though concerning the engine and the other parts under the body. It's really messed up under. No exhaust system and the rear suspension is failing so the wheels are stuck, it's not the brakes that are failing. It's something pushing on the tires at 12 o'clock.

Well, I never liked automatic transmission and it's a pity that mine has that. If I could choose an series 1 OTS or a FHC would be my choice not a 1.5 2+2 with automatic transmission :roll: But this is what I have so I'll stick to it for a while.
As a side note... I managed to get a rust free series 1 hood including the lights and glass, fresh front and rear bumpers. all the lights and quite a few spare parts from a 1961 FHC.

#8

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:24 pm
by Heuer
A S1 OTS in similar condition to yours would probably sell for ?20,000 maybe more! If you can handle the bodywork you are way ahead of most owners who usually outsource it. Don't be afraid of the engine and running gear as the parts are readily available and the Jaguar Workshop Manual guides you through the whole thing very well. You can convert the car to manual transmission very cheaply by using a MOD (manual/over-drive) box from an XJ6. Plenty of help available from the Forum so don't be afraid to ask.

#9

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:05 pm
by Roman K
Oh well I guess I'm not the craziest Swede here anymore then :)

lycka till (good luck)

#10

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:13 pm
by stef
Lars,

In comparison there is a S1.5 2+2 on www.blocket.se for SEK290,000 (GBP 27,000) in 'rust free original condition'

http://www.blocket.se/ostergotland/Jagu ... ?ca=11&w=3

There is also a SII US car for SEK219,000

But, you don't restore an old car for the economics. You do it for the love and the challenge

#11

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:39 pm
by LarsR
Roman K wrote:Oh well I guess I'm not the craziest Swede here anymore then :)

lycka till (good luck)
Haha, maybe you still are. :lol:

Tonight I stripped the interior. The car has a Webasto roofmounted and I found severe rust everywhere under the headliner. This made me think it over once again (for the 112th time), This time I think I am beaten.

I will probably sell individual parts and send the body to the junkyard. So if anyone is interested in anything like the engine, carburetors, windscreen, side windows, rear hatch door rear window, doors, dashboard, instrument chrome, wheels or small parts from a 1967 e-type , even the body and bonnet is for sale if anyone is interested. Please PM or e-mail!

I'm going to look forr a Series 1 FHC or OTS in slightly better condition because I'm not very happy with 2+2 and automatic transmission. But I want it to be a restoration object with less rust.

#12

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:42 am
by Mark Gordon
Welcome to the forum, Lars. I think that you are making a wise decision to not undertake this restoration. You would have spent a huge amount of money (far more than it would have been worth when completed) and time on the project and you would not have had the car that you really wanted. Keep looking; these cars are not rare and there are project cars available that are reasonable in the amount of their deterioration. Plus you can start with the series and model that will satisfy your lust. I do encourage you to follow your dream and once you have found and restored your dream car, you won't be able to wipe the silly grin off of your face each time that you look at it, let alone get behind the wheel!
Best of luck

#13

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 am
by LarsR
Thanks Mark,

Very wise words witten. I will try to find a decent Series 1 OTS or FHC to restore.

I will now sell this car as a parts car. Many parts are OK so it would be a shame to just sent it to the junkyard for demolition.

#14

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:32 pm
by LarsR
I'm, sorry to write that I don't have an E-type anymore :lol: It went faster than I could ever think of. The mailbox exploaded. Obviously many wants a wreck.

Now I'll hurry slowly to find the right car. I'll be back!

#15

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:45 pm
by john wyatt
Glad you decided not to embark upon this, looked like a mad project on all levels! hope you find something better to work with

#16

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:01 am
by Heuer
Lars

If you are up for a challenge: http://tinyurl.com/cjs5uze or http://tinyurl.com/cwgxk59

#17

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 pm
by LarsR
Heuer wrote:Lars

If you are up for a challenge: http://tinyurl.com/cjs5uze or http://tinyurl.com/cwgxk59
Thanks for the links. Well they are a bit too much for me at the moment. I'm looking for something that's a tiny more clean. Specifically I'm in for a more or less complete and running Series 1 FHC, not a 2+2. I don't mind some welding but the hood should be in decent condition.

I would certainly bought this one if it was a series one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-E-Type ... 1c28bb2604

Concerning the bids and the condition on those cars I guess I was too cheap selling off mine yesterday for ?2,100. I assume that's why I got it sold within three hours.

#18

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:37 pm
by Heuer
LarsR wrote: I guess I was too cheap selling off mine yesterday for ?2,100. I assume that's why I got it sold within three hours.
:shock: :shock: :shock: You would have got that for the IRS on its own!