Page 1 of 1

#1 New member - hello

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:35 pm
by NOR3564
Hello Everyone

In the late 1960s a young Englishman and his fianc? drove their RHD Black 1968 series 1.5 e-type 2+2 across Europe to Florence, Italy. They fell in love with the country and decided to stay along with their "Diabolik" car (an Italian cult comic book anti hero, who drove a black e-type fhc). The car remained in this one family ownership until the man's demise in 2012. As part of the man's estate the e-type was sold to a well heeled Italian classic car collector, who used it as his personal car.

In December 2015 my wife and I returned to Florence to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and stayed in the city where we originally honeymooned. Well, when I heard about the car I just had to meet the collector and his agent Franco and bring her back home didn't I. Such romance you will agree. My wife is still talking to me just!

I have never owned a classic car before, but I know I can expect both joy and challenges along the way. The car is in very good (rust free) condition with all original matching numbers and lovely aged red leather interior - including Jaguar Heritage certificate.

I am pleased to be accepted as a member of the e-type club and this forum. I will read with interest over the coming months all the generously offered advice and chit chat on the forum. I am sure I will be dipping in with the odd nervous question too no doubt, as I seek to learn of ways to maintain my new beauty and keep her as true to her original self as possible.

I am based in the Richmond area of London and would be happy to hear from anyone nearby or those that can offer advice for a new e-type owner. I understand there is a classic car garage in Twickenham (Southern Classics) that specialises in e-types which I will probably use to give my car a first check over. However, I am also happy to use the services of a self employed experienced mechanic in the area too if anyone cares to recommend one.

Paolo

#2

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:39 pm
by David Oslo
Welcome Paolo !

The story is amazing, as I am sure the car is !

I used to live in Twickenham, but it was so many years ago (25) that I can't help you out with garages. Lovely part of London to live, with Richmond and the river close by, and not far from the countryside.

#3

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:45 pm
by NOR3564
Hi David

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am fortunate to live in a nice area like Richmond. Lovely to drive around in the early hours of the morning at least.

Paolo

#4 Hi

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:01 pm
by cactusman
I am No where near Richmond but welcome to the forum and the pleasures of E type ownership. You will love every minute...well almost every minute. The 2016 car show season will soon be no n us all... J

#5

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:04 pm
by NOR3564
Many thanks

#6

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:39 pm
by Ian Cooke
Hi Paolo

Many congratulations on your purchase and I'm sure that it's one that you and your wife will never regret. My wife and I are relative newcomers to the world of e types having purchased ours 18 months ago and we have enjoyed every moment. She has taken us to places that we would not have previously visited and we have enjoyed meeting so many people who have delighted in the car.

The forum is excellent and you will learn so much just by reading the many and varied posts.

I'm interested in how you got your car back from Florence as it's somewhere that we would love to visit in ours.

Best wishes

Ian

#7

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:07 pm
by NOR3564
Hello Ian

Thank you. The car is in the process of being shipped back. I thought that would be the safer bet. Italy is a wonderful place to travel. Last two years my wife and I have gone to Brescia to watch the Mille Miglia - now that is an experience to behold. This coming year we will be taking in the historic Monte Carlo race the week before the start of the MM.

regards

#8

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 am
by malcolm
Hi and welcome. Do post some photos of the car when it arrives

#9

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:32 pm
by NOR3564
Thanks will do.

#10 S1.5 2+2 returning back to the UK from Italy

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:02 pm
by NOR3564
Image

Hi Malcom

Here she is ready to be shipped back.

regards


Paolo

#11

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:02 pm
by GravyGraham
Don't be afraid to ask any type of question Paolo - forum users here are helpful and they won't ridicule you for any ignorance. I'm still fairly new here myself and find it a great resource.

#12

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:15 pm
by NOR3564
Thank you

#13

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:35 am
by WIL3543
Welcome Paolo,
What a great story!
I was born in Chiswick which is not so far from Richmond. I moved to Wiltshire a couple of years ago and bought my E Type this Summer and love it too bits!
Enjoy your car and have a fun, enjoyable and safe time in it!

#14

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:37 am
by NOR3564
Thank you Mike

#15

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:55 pm
by mark10337
Hi Paolo

I live partly in Kew and partly in Switzerland. My eType is with me in Switzerland at the moment. I'd be happy to meet up anytime when I'm back home.

#16

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:53 am
by malcolm
Paolo, the picture didn't work. You need to use something like photobucket (free to download) then you just copy and paste a link. I'm rubbish at computer stuff, but photobucket is easy once you've worked it out.