Page 1 of 1
#1 New member
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:32 am
by EDW3694
Hi everyone,
I've finally done it (to much amazement from the wife and children)and joined the E Type Club and bought a '72 S3 2+2, RHD Manual.The car has been little used in the last 34 years but is low mileage and has been dry stored, so I'm hoping it's a good one. I'm glad I've found this forum and will be asking what may seem simple questions but please bare with me!
My first question is how much ground clearance should there be under the exhaust box at the rear. Mine can catch on humps etc. The clamps are turned sideways so aren't sticking down.
Thanks
Simon
#2
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:17 am
by Alty Ian
Welcome Simon
200mm from the underside of the IRS to the floor.
The 2+2's often have lower ride height and the solution is to fit spacers (part No C37271) at the top of the springs.
Also, the exhaust
http://www.sngbarratt.com/CatalogueProd ... 65&a=16557
is held on by 4 rubber bands (part No C33616) plus a rubber mount at the back (C33619) and they stretch/deteriorate and are dead cheap and simple to replace, plus as you have noticed having clamps facing down makes things worse so move them round.
Enjoy
Ian
#3
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:18 pm
by EDW3694
Thanks Ian
The IRS to floor is 185mm around the lip and 190mm to the centre area. So it's running a bit low. How many spacers are required to return it to 200mm.
I'll try some new bands as well.
Simon
#4 welcome
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:19 pm
by cactusman
every mm helps but those evil humps will still get you. I would vote for any party that outlawed them full stop. My FHC grounds on many so I have to go over at 0.5 mph yet Chelsea tractors go over them at 50 mph round here...rant over! I HATE SPEED HUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are a pointless poluting waste of time.
#5
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:23 pm
by Alty Ian
Simon
One on each spring they cost peanuts. Did mine and never touch a speed bump anymore. However 185mm isnt that bad so your exhaust must be too low as well.
Ian
#6
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:32 pm
by mystery type
but please bare with me!
only just joined and getting friendly already
I seem to remember reading the e type only had 4" ground clearance when new anyway.
#7
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:43 pm
by EDW3694
Ian
Thanks for the advice. Me and my youngest son spent the afternoon altering the exhaust and have increased the ground clearance from 3 to 6 inch. In fact the lowest point now is the front clamp at start of the exhaust.
Should now be able to get out of my yard now without scrapping something.
Simon
#8
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:00 pm
by Herzeg
I live in London. My local council (Barnet) removed them all some years ago because they siad the speed restrictions on ambulances, etc cost lives. Just up the road is Haringay council and the speed bumps around many of the roads are so high you have to slow to max 5-10mph to avoid hitting the front of your car both into and out of them.
The driving is no less safe in Barnet
#9
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:54 am
by chrisfell
Speed bumps are nothing compared to the ramps getting onto (and off) ferries. I have to take ramps when I go touring the continent just to get on or off the ferries.
#10
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 am
by malcolm
Ramps on ferries seem ok in my E providing I go across them at an angle; this zig-zagging increases clearance considerably