Page 1 of 1
#1 Hello
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:29 pm
by Chrisj
Hello all
Loved e-types since a kid and vaguely remember my dads
1.5 FHC. After years of saving and cajoling the missus managed to get a fixer upper, series 2 FHC all original paint, interior etc and it shows!!
Plan to start slowly, seals are perished etc etc . Fan on a perm switch as take it thermostat faulty and plenty of other stuff but although I'm an engineer I know very little about how to work on them. So hoping to pick your brains.
Kind regards
Chris
#2 Re: Hello
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:40 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Chris...welcolm to the forum....where are you..if poss add your location.....lots of usefull info here and if you look in the knowledge base section it has copies of the workshop manuals plus lots mors.....before you replase any seals check out who supplies the best ones, some are harder rubber......enjoy your new toy and post some photos if you can.... Steve
#3 Re: Hello
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 pm
by Chrisj
Thanks steve. I'm in Kent,UK. And it's FHC 4.2 1969 dark blue, red interior. The body's never been touched so really shows its age! Took it out Sunday just passed and pulled into a petrol station next to a concourse series 1. Just made it look even worse. But it's a work in progress I keep telling myself.
Been reading through some of the posts and it's a massive amount to take in. In my rush and excitement I bought a complete seal kit from SNG Barrett's but have yet to tackle it and not even sure how to approach it just yet. Luckily my father is quite handy having owned and restored one late 70s but that was a long time ago!
Regards
Chris
#4 Re: Hello
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:06 pm
by cactusman
Welcome. I bought a fixer upper four years back. Best thing I did. You will love it. Just don't overlook security. Sadly our cars are highly desirable and high on the shopping lists of thieves so make sure you secure your car when out and about and also when home. Lots of posts on here about keeping your car safe and secure and well worth a few minutes reading. Julian
#5 Re: Hello
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:01 pm
by Nickleback
Welcome Chris,
I also bought a rolling restoration S2 FHC over year ago and still am only 1/2 way there !
Lots of great information here, most problems have been encountered before so you are not alone - just ask
Enjoy "the journey"
#6 Re: Hello
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:41 am
by malcolm
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Look forward to some pics!
#7 Re: Hello
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:19 pm
by Stephanie Plum
Hello, welcome and congratulations
I'll be of absolutely no help whatsoever from a technical viewpoint though but as a relatively new owner I understand the excitement of finally buying one.
#8 Re: Hello
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:24 am
by Gfhug
Welcome, Chris, an S2 is a fine example to have and your colour combination sounds great. Pictures, please.
The knowledge base manuals are great for printing out a page or two to have to hand when working on the car but no susbstitute for having the books in hard copy.
I've been on here two years and received no end of help and advice as well as good humour to help you through the dark days.
You might wish to have the car inspected by a properly knowledgeable E Type engineer.
Have fun with your new car.
Geoff
#9 Re: Hello
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:45 am
by Edgar
Welcome! Would love to see pics of the car. Especially how the dark blue works out with the red interior.
(now I'll have to strat my own welcome topic too

)
#10 Re: Hello
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:52 am
by GravyGraham
Hello Chris from another Kent forum member - looking forward to seeing some pics of your pride and joy. Don't beat yourself up about condition, you're saving the nation's heritage, that's reward enough in itself.