Speeding

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
bobsnicholson
Great Britain

#1 Speeding

Post by bobsnicholson » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:39 am

Having motor bikes and being on a motor bike forum there are several reports of speeding tickets being received from France and Spain. 5 in total, 3 France and 2 Spain, 1 in Aug 4 in Sept.
We will be driving down to Alicante from 5th Nov so i am thinking steady steady.
Anyone hearing the same with cars????
1972 V12 Roadster. Velar. M5. Caddy. Bikes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Speeding

Post by mgcjag » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 am

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Speeding

Post by abowie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:38 am

LOL.

Where I live, if you speed at all you get fined in short order. It is accepted revenue raising.

Recently I changed the tyres on my FHC from 60 to 85 profile. Not having had a speeding fine since 1995, I subsequently got 2 in 3 months in the FHC. Because the increase in tyre size made my speedo inaccurate.

We have fixed speed cameras, movable speed cameras, camouflaged speed cameras, cops with radar guns, choppers with.... etc

As I see it I am grateful to the speeders for paying more than their fair share of tax. And providing a ready supply of spare organs for deserving transplant recipients.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Speeding

Post by christopher storey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 am

And note that France now has a universal 80 kph limit on all single carriageway roads

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#5 Re: Speeding

Post by malcolm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:32 am

What you need is a police car like this chasing you for speeding:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/03/us/t ... chase.html
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Speeding

Post by Heuer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:32 am

Italy have been using debt recovery companies around the world to serve speeding fines for years. They even changed their laws to allow fines to be served up to 360 days from the date of the offence. Most rural roads now have a 50kph limit enforced by thousands of cameras. Drivers have to pay the fine and the debt recovery company costs which are more than the fine!

Since April 2018 the DVLA supply names and addresses to any country requesting them and France/Spain have woken to the revenue opportunities. In Italy and France you can expect to be fined for even a couple of kms above the posted limit. Gone are the days when you could get flashed by every camera and hear nothing I'm afraid. Then of course the French rebelled:

"The French government decided in 2017 to cut the speed limit on country roads from 1 July 2018 from 90 to 80 km/h with the aim to save 200 lives each year, after research found that "excessive or unsuitable" speed was involved in a third of fatal road accidents. The change was opposed and was a factor in the rise of the yellow vest movement. It was seen as another tax via citations and a failure to understand the needs of rural residents who are totally reliant on their cars. Vandalism of traffic enforcement cameras grew significantly after the yellow vest movement began."
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bobsnicholson
Great Britain

#7 Re: Speeding

Post by bobsnicholson » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Everytime i have driven or ridden in Europe, and it has been several times a year i have always been flashed. To date i have never had a ticket through my UK home door.
It's looking like now i am going to reign in the horses, and that can be difficult in a M5.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kennyh
Great Britain

#8 Re: Speeding

Post by kennyh » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:20 pm

We've owned a property in Andalucia for 20 years and sold it this year, completing in August.

For the last few years we've driven across due to my hatred of airports, sailing to St Malo, driving up Atlantic coast then swinging South across the width of Spain, through Madrid,Granada and on to our house.

Not one ticket in all that time and many thousands of miles.

So, we sells up and leaves the Notary office and headed off North to Bilbao for a ferry home.

Stuff me, a ticket landed last month for a speeding offence on the AP68 in to Bilbao, a stones throw from the boat on our very last trip. How is that for luck?, the GPS speed warnings let me down for the first time even though Mrs, was indeed saying I was going too fast, I remember it clearly.

Nice pic of my car arrived and I was done for 92kph in an 80 zone. 100e fine or 50e if paid by this November.

Thought it best to pay as I know for certain via other people they will give you a tug at the border the next time you visit if you ignore it.....it is so easy for them to do this now.
I have to say the online payment was simple with none of the usual Spanish traumas we've been used to :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

timhum
Great Britain

#9 Re: Speeding

Post by timhum » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Looking on the bright side, you don't get any points on your UK licence.
Tik
Tim
1965 S1 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#10 Re: Speeding

Post by Heuer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:50 pm

A friend in our village has just received two speeding fines from France - one on the A16 near Calais, the other near Nice - both offences caught on camera in August this year. Her speed was 8kmh over the 80kmh limit in both instances! Helpfully the documents were all in English with easy payment via credit card.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bobsnicholson
Great Britain

#11 Re: Speeding

Post by bobsnicholson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Thinking, (not always a good idea) put them back in the post, send them back with a note................... ...Not paying i think this is a scam. :policeblue:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#12 Re: Speeding

Post by Heuer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:38 pm

It must be a very well organised scam to have the correct road/direction of travel, date and time of travel along with her registered keeper address and registration number! The lady in question admits it was her driving in Nice and her sister driving near Calais at the stated time.

More info here: https://www.antai.gouv.fr/?lang=en

The ANTAI (National agency for automated offence processing) site allows you to check your offence file. It also describes the various systems in use, how they are applied and their total numbers. They include car borne cameras with no flash and average speed cameras. They made 104,031 requests to the DVLA for details of UK drivers in March this year, two and a half times the 42,824 made the previous month, and violation Notice's can be sent up to a year after the offence. They are doing this on an industrial scale before Brexit makes it more difficult to get owner details.

No more 'Fun in France' I'm afraid.

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#13 Re: Speeding

Post by Gfhug » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Heuer wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:38 pm

No more 'Fun in France' I'm afraid.
Another reason not to go to France! :wink:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mich7920
France

#14 Re: Speeding

Post by Mich7920 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:50 pm

The stupid man who hurts his finger with the hammer always insults the hammer... :banghead:
Fortunately there's the EType to share a drink in France or elsewhere ! :drinkingcheers:

Mich
Last edited by Mich7920 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
1965 E Type FHC - On the road / 1963 E Type OTS - on the road after Angus Restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#15 Re: Speeding

Post by Gfhug » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Mich :drinkingcheers:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#16 Re: Speeding

Post by cactusman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:50 pm

The trick is not to speed. Me and a mate have been to Le Mans every year since 2000 in his caterham 7 (I know....impractical to say the least :bigrin: ) Never had a single ticket in all those years....everyone knows the rules and everyone should know that the French authorities enforce them vigorously....get caught by the Gendarmes and the fine is instant..we have seen people being taken to cash machines by the police :oops: .can't pay sir!..they take the car! Too far over the limit and you get banned there and then!
Those are their rules...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#17 Re: Speeding

Post by Heuer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:05 pm

cactusman wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:50 pm
The trick is not to speed.
Actually, the trick is not to get caught!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#18 Re: Speeding

Post by cactusman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:37 pm

:bigrin: :bigrin: yes! But the buggers hide behind trees!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
bobsnicholson
Great Britain

#19 Re: Speeding

Post by bobsnicholson » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 am

Worse than speeding tickets from France are their Chitlings, orrible. IMO...................(ok so i have a weird sense of humour. Nice to have one.)

Having had property in Spain since 1983 we have driven through France and Spain more times than i can count.
The one and only time we were done for speeding was 1988 in a new Golf GTi. Wife was driving, i was kipping. She woke me saying there were 2 blokes on motor bikes behind her waving at her. Yes Mr Plod X 2.
My wife and i 0 french, Mr Cop X2 no English. Sign language to follow them to a small bank in a small village where a young girl spoke English who in turn told us the cops wanted lots of Francs/Euro (long time ago) for speeding.
I drove the rest of the way AND all the way back home a couple of weeks later.
As mentioned previously i have been flashed many times but to date never received a ticket.
Driving down again on 6th Nov in my M5 (now that is hard to reign in). Think i will be on red alert and paying a lot more attention to the limits. My attention level has been known to wander :shrug: Kali Wali

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#20 Re: Speeding

Post by Heuer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:58 am

I have only been stopped once for speeding in France. When we were on one of our E-Type tours my wife bought a painting from a small seaside village in Brittany then realised we could not transport it home! Two weeks later we returned in our long gone Alpina B5 Touring but I only had the weekend free so it had to be leave Friday morning and return Sunday for a 1,260 mile round trip. We elected to stay two nights in Deauville and use it as a base for the raid into Brittany and back. For those who don't know, the B5 is a supercharged and turbo charged 205 mph BMW estate car that makes the M5 feel pedestrian - it was one of four RHD examples produced and the ideal continent crusher. The trip was a doddle although it involved 8 hours driving on each of the three days. It was only on the return as we joined the A16 that I decided to drop down out of the 'cruise' and one minute later we got trapped at 155 kph, discounted to 140 kph for good behaviour. Cops were more interested in the car than anything else and were almost apologetic for stopping us. We agreed on a 45 euro fine and were waived on our way. At any other point in the trip I don't think we would have got off so lightly. I have never driven so quickly and so constantly (including the UK section) in my life and I would never consider it possible nowadays.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic