Page 1 of 3

#1 Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:46 am
by abowie


Unfortunately it's about 3500 km from my house.

Edit. Once sold the ad disappeared from FB.

#2 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:00 am
by chrisfell
3500 kms, 2200 miles. That sounds like a challenge.

#3 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:07 am
by abowie
The problem in a nutshell is the engine. If it's good it's a bloody bargain. If it's not the car is essentially worthless as it will cost me around the purchase price to build it properly.

But I sooo want one!

I watched this live.

#4 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 am
by politeperson
Dont think about it Andrew, just do it.

#5 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:22 am
by H7OB
That Bathurst video is one of my YouTube favourites and a potentially powerful influence on such a decision!

Just do it, lifes too short!
If in doubt, watch the video again and turn up the volume higher! :bigrin:

#6 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:56 am
by malcolm
I get the "buy it now!" because it's the sort of impetuous thing I'd do. However, that engine has been "very well used" so I understand Andrew's reluctance to travel a couple of thousand miles on a whim.

#7 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:50 am
by christopher storey
What a wonderful noise ! Buy it ! The long straight at Bathurst is really something ( although it fills me with apprehension because my younger son had a nasty 180 mph crash there in February this year )

#8 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 am
by MarkRado
I guess there are not many of these around, let alone for sale. Id travel these miles and listen to the engine- and buy it, if it is not scrap. You will have to go over the engine anyway...

#9 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 am
by abowie
Hmm. So what does my new avatar tell you?

#10 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:24 am
by Gfhug
:bouncyyellow: :bouncyyellow: :bouncyyellow:

Now tell us more about your new toy. This may be an E Type forum, but a report or two on this car and your experiences will not be out of place.
So pleased for you Andrew :wink:

Geoff

#11 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 am
by christopher storey
Well done that man ! Let's hear about it, or better still hear it !

#12 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:08 pm
by MarkRado
:bigrin:
Congrats and a lot of joy with your new toy!!
:drinkingcheers:

#13 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:43 pm
by H7OB
Respect! Congratulations!
An update, with appropriate pics and gratuitous video / audio would be well recieved when possible! :wink:

#14 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:30 am
by vee12eman
Ok. Now I’m jealous. I was at a JCCV show some years back and they had one of the Bathurst XJS cars there. I arrived late and hadn’t got around, so I didn’t know about it. Then someone started it...

Now I got into E-types through a love of early cars,like many, but now I’m a V12 guy. About the only thing that could be more impressive to me than that XJS is one of the US racing E V12 cars, Bob Tulius or the East Coast equivalent from Huffaker.

Andrew, enjoy it and I hope to see/hear it sometime soon!

Regards,

Simon

#15 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:57 am
by abowie





#16 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 am
by AussieEtype
Ok as the original Post information is no longer available I am having trouble following the dots.

Yes I gather you have the XJS and I am very familiar the 1985 Bathurst 1000 but exactly what car do you have - the winner, one of the other cars or what?

I need specifics 8-) - where was it, is it still in racing spec, mods after the race? Registered or you got trade plates on it?

Thanks

Garry

#17 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:19 pm
by abowie
Nah it's just a replica. I think Mike Roddy has one of the originals.

#18 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:54 pm
by politeperson
Andrew,

You have my total respect. You are the man. What an excellent purchase.

Look at the piece of crap I bought last week. Compare and contrast. (Its from Australia!).

Image

When do you get it? How long does it take?

Excellent. Very exciting indeed.

Look what my friend bought. 1976, original color as well, mint but needing recommissioning which is under way.

No rust - ever!


Image

My congratulations to you, Life is too short.

#19 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 pm
by H7OB
Thanks for that, awesome!
The last words say it all! 🤣🤪

#20 Re: Reeeeally tempted..

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm
by Series1 Stu
That's nice. Sounds amazing too.

That's Landie is really nice, James. Don't change a thing and just keep it going. Maybe a canvas tilt. I have a 1978 Series 3 in a similarly tatty state but it's got a galvanised chassis and bulkhead. Sails through the MOT every year!

We're a lucky bunch!
:drinkingcheers: