Golf GTI Horror - Victim Reveals All

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
Jeremy
Great Britain

#1 Golf GTI Horror - Victim Reveals All

Post by Jeremy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Yes, the unbelievable truth is...They go wrong! This is my wife Christine's lovely 13 yr old GTI Mk5. Der rear door lock ist kaputt gewesen. So while waiting for a replacement for a suspect radiator fan switch for the E, I spent a fun-packed afternoon with son Ben dismantling and diagnosing.

The electrics are quite wacky when compared to the sixties norm - a 5 second pulse that drops the voltage from 12 to 4V (IIRC) for both locking and unlocking. So there are brains inside the lock it would appear, from which fact I can doubtless infer that a replacement unit is gonna cost ein Arm und ein Bein.
Among other fun facts for the desperately bored:
1. To access the lock you remove the outer door skin, which is held on with 18 bolts - cunning, eh? What would I have given for a detachable outer skin when I was trying to get the Jag window winders to work....
2. No rust ANYWHERE on a 13 year old car that has sat outside its entire life. Not a trace. They don't make em like they used to. Oh no. Athough there are very definite cost cutting measures evident on the Mk8. Oh yes. Probably for the dieselgate fund....

Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Golf GTI Horror - Victim Reveals All

Post by johnetype » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:30 am

Jeremy wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:16 pm

2. No rust ANYWHERE on a 13 year old car that has sat outside its entire life. Not a trace. They don't make em like they used to. Oh no.
Oh yes, Jaguar still do. A 13 year old Jaguar will reward you with lots of rust, it's depressing reading the monthly JEC magazine with folks listing one corrosion based challenge after another.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#3 Re: Golf GTI Horror - Victim Reveals All

Post by Series1 Stu » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:22 pm

I had a 1988 Audi 100 that Audi wanted to buy off me in 2000 to strip it and assess for corrosion. Shortly after that the extended the corrosion warranty to 12 years.

They didn't buy mine in the end because it had been accident damaged but they did buy quite a few cars back at the time.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#4 Re: Golf GTI Horror - Victim Reveals All

Post by Durango2k » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm

15 yr old E class, everyday outside, salt in winter, no serious corrosion.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TomArden
United States of America

#5 Re: Golf GTI Horror - Victim Reveals All

Post by TomArden » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:26 pm

No corrosion is always good news for any car owner.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic