RHD speedo cable route

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
Heronscourt
Great Britain

#1 RHD speedo cable route

Post by Heronscourt » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:18 pm

Could anyone tell me the route for the speedo cable on a 4.2 rhd roadster. I'm converting from LHD the angle drive is on the right hand side of the gearbox and I have a new cable, 50", which is correct according to Barratt's website.
I've run it alongside the gearbox and up the side of the bell housing then through a hole in the top left hand side panel of the drivers foot well. And finally along behind the dashboard to the speedo position.
I'm sure thus is incorrect as it makes the cable seem too long and if connected up would leave a severe loop behind the speedo which I'm sure would lead to cable failure very quickly
Any information gratefully received
Alan R
Etype series 1.5 roadster 1968

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: RHD speedo cable route

Post by christopher storey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:46 am

Alan : you are bringing the cable in too low and, by the sound of it, too far to the rear : the usual route is to bring it into the passenger compartment through a hole ( about 2cms diameter ) at the level about half way up the wiper motor and on its outboard side by about 3cms. The cable then more or less points at the rear of the speedo and fits without any strain or sharp turns

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: RHD speedo cable route

Post by mgcjag » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:32 am

Hi Alan....you seem to be posting your questions randomly.....please try to pick the appropriat section to post in....iv already moved your last post from our Our Knowledge base section to the technical section.....thanks....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#4 Re: RHD speedo cable route

Post by johnetype » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Don't worry about the cable appearing to be too long.

Firstly take Christopher's advice and make sure the cable passes through the bulkhead as close as possible on the direct route to the back of the speedo.

Secondly use the length of cable left in the engine compartment to make the biggest, most gentle 180 degree loop you can is it turns back on itself to go down the side of the transmission housing to meet the angle drive.

Finally check it's not touching or fouling anything that's likely to move like the steering column.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic