DB6 v E type

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Topic author
dlgis
Great Britain

#1 DB6 v E type

Post by dlgis » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:07 pm

There’s an interesting article in the latest issue of Aston Martin Driver where the reporter drives both cars and compares the relative merits of the DB6 and the 4.2 series1 fhc, and comes to a conclusion on which he’d rather have. Available on Readly for those with a subscription 👍
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#2 Re: DB6 v E type

Post by 44DHR » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:50 am

I’m privileged to be able to drive both and they both have their merits. For a long European drive - as my mate with the DB6 and I have done many times - swapping cars at points, I would drive the Aston. We have been on several long European trips over thousands of miles - some documented in this Forum - and we always keep each other on our insurance policies. Also loads more space for luggage in the DB6. For spirited driving and feeling at one with the car - definitely the E type.
It would be very unfair to describe the Aston as “agricultural”, but although it is a beautiful car, it is a heavy car - although it has power steering - and lacks the responsiveness of the E type. The Aston suspension shows it’s age with a live rear axle, whereas the E Type’s sophisticated independent rear axle makes a better handling car on a twisty road. Although we shouldn’t mention it, the Aston has markedly increased in value compared to the E type, but if I was in the same situation today going to buy either car, the E type definitely has the edge on what you get for your money.
The photos below are from just over 10 years ago when my mate finished restoring his DB6 and brought it down to be my Best Man and drive us both to the wedding venue. The first time I drove it was when after the ceremony he unexpectedly handed me the key so my wife and I could drive it home. I think I was more nervous getting into it to drive it for the first time after his amazing restoration than I had been the whole day !
Horses for courses and both great cars, but each has their own special qualities.
Just my thoughts.
Regards,
Dave

Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
dlgis
Great Britain

#3 Re: DB6 v E type

Post by dlgis » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:09 pm

A fabulous stable there Dave 👍
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: DB6 v E type

Post by Gfhug » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:58 pm

Dave

How nice to hear a balanced viewpoint highlighting the benefits and preferences for each car depending on what it is being used for.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#5 Re: DB6 v E type

Post by Durango2k » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:18 pm

Maybe a 2+2 might solve some of the „problems“… :-)

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic