HOPEFULLY TUESDAY WILL BE THE END OF THE ELECTRIC CAR.....

For general talk non car related.
Tasteful jokes.

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#21 Re: HOPEFULLY TUESDAY WILL BE THE END OF THE ELECTRIC CAR.....

Post by Monkeyfinger » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:03 pm

Yep, never buy on the basis of economy unless you intend to mainly charge at home - even that will change of course, as prices rise, but there is a hell of a long way to go.

I have a 75kwh battery in the Tesla. I have an off peak cheap rate at home specifically for EV's and pay 7.5p/kwh, going up to 10p next month. So a full charge from zero, will cost me £7.50, giving a range somewhere around 250 miles (will vary +/-with conditions of course). So by my maths that's 3p per mile. My E-type may make 25mpg on a really good day. Assuming around 160p a litre, that all works out to be in the region of 30p per mile. So even an economical car doing 50mpg, is going to be 15p a mile. That's a factor of 5 to 10 times more expensive per mile - with my own circumstances.

This shows that some common sense is needed to firstly understand that one size does not fit all when it comes to EV's in general, and that personal circumstance has a huge part to play in the running costs.

Anyone looking to use any of the public charge points will get royally hammered, but that's been the same with petrol/diesel and we are all at the mercy of suppliers.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#22 Re: HOPEFULLY TUESDAY WILL BE THE END OF THE ELECTRIC CAR.....

Post by dlgis » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:56 pm

My wife has an i3s which she absolutely loves, but you do need patience if you’re travelling longer distances. It has a max range of a out 160-180 in the summer, in winter that reduces to 120-140. On a motorway travelling at outside lane speeds the range is much reduced. Then there’s the problem of finding a charging point, we nearly ran out in a charging black hole in Oxfordshire but fortunately the 4th charging station was actually working…phew. Plus there’s the sitting around for an hour waiting for the thing to charge, so best not to be in a hurry. Teslas of course have a much better range and more dedicated charging points, although be careful in the snow as traction is limited, which is why my son in law’s is now a different shape :wow:

For fun though there’s not much that will beat it to 50mph in the traffic light grand prix, especially an e type :lol:
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fuel.inj
Wales

#23 Re: HOPEFULLY TUESDAY WILL BE THE END OF THE ELECTRIC CAR.....

Post by Fuel.inj » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:38 am

There will always be different points of views, positive and negative. I don’t do a lot of travelling now that I am retired and after giving up a company vehicle after 30 odd years bought an immaculate very low mileage Mercedes Benz petrol 2.6 for a fraction of what a Tesla 3 costs. It’s easy to maintain, extremely comfortable, cheap insurance and the best bits are that I can buy an awful lot of fuel for the £45K difference in price and the cars value has increased. It will hopefully last me out.
Paul.
1971 S2 FHC (Opalescent Blue)
1990 Mercedes Benz 260E
1972 Saab 96 V4
A number of Nortons.
1939 Triumph T100

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#24 Re: HOPEFULLY TUESDAY WILL BE THE END OF THE ELECTRIC CAR.....

Post by dlgis » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:34 am

Same here, I bought a mint Japanese import 2007 Mercedes E350 estate with 33k miles as a daily driver. Drives like a new car 😊 still use the wife’s i3 to go to the shops though 😁
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic