With the modern two step process I described above, the paint and crud is gone before the chelation step...which then removes the rust. I didn't include the rinse process above, but depending on the car owner's wishes, the part/shell is pressure rinsed when it comes out of the chelation tank. I spoke with them about adding a phosphate step, which they are considering. As they were not equipped for that step when I had the doors done, I brought the parts back to my "shop" and did it myself. The chelation step does leave a waxy residue that acts as a protectant for about a week. It dissolves easily with any good degreaser applied under pressure. High dollar chassis are typically retrieved as soon as they come out of the tank and are processed at the body shop, however, the stripping facility will rinse, clean and epoxy prime as an elective.Heuer wrote:Yes but they a) don't have any rust or pin-holes and b) don't have any old paint or road much that could trap the chemicals.
acid stripping paintwork
#21
Eric
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#22
Although the majority of the parts on my car ended up at work to go though the chemical clean and dip process I left before the shell was ready to go though.
I did some checking and found a company in Northampton that did the same process of a smaller scale, they could easily do the bonnet, doors and boot but would have to make a jog to hang the body on without the engine frames.
It wasn't that expensive but can't recall the exact price. Later this year I am going to remove my bonnet for painting again and will look into it further.
Dave
I did some checking and found a company in Northampton that did the same process of a smaller scale, they could easily do the bonnet, doors and boot but would have to make a jog to hang the body on without the engine frames.
It wasn't that expensive but can't recall the exact price. Later this year I am going to remove my bonnet for painting again and will look into it further.
Dave
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




