Carrying a fire extinguisher

Talk about E-Types here

djw61
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:57 pm
United States of America

#21 Re: Carrying a fire extinguisher

Post by djw61 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:10 pm

I also carry an extinguisher in my car but I have often wondered whether it would be of any use for a fire in the engine compartment. How would one raise the bonnet if there was a fire under it? During the summer, the release catch is normally very hot after a drive. I cannot imagine trying to open the bonnet while flames are heating the release catch and possibly coming out of the louvers. Do those of you who carry extinguishers also carry insulated gloves (or an oven mitt) to open the bonnet or do you plan on attacking the fire from under the car (which I cannot imagine would be very effective)? The few times I have seen the fire department deal with engine fires, they have pried open the bonnet with a long steel or iron rod.
David
1966 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

chrisfell
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Salisbury
St Lucia

#22 Re: Carrying a fire extinguisher

Post by chrisfell » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:59 pm

For reasons I won't go into right now, this subject has suddenly taken on a new perspective. I have a pair of oven gloves in the garage (for use with blow torches etc). From today at least one will be with the fire extinguisher in my car.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

PeterCrespin
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Contact:
United States of America

#23 Re: Carrying a fire extinguisher

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:29 pm

Nice to meet you today Chris, and yes - extinguishers are suddenly a bit more necessary to avoid disaster.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

neil4444
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: East Sussex
Great Britain

#24 Re: Carrying a fire extinguisher

Post by neil4444 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:16 pm

20% offer available on Firetool extinguisher products through homeandgardenltd Ebay shop
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic