#1 Parts - Getting away from The Usual Suspects ?
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:17 pm
Keen students of the parts-quality debate might remember these threads
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7511&p=72231&hilit= ... tle#p72231
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9155&p=71940&hilit=lathe#p71940
I exchanged several emails with one of the Usual Suspects last summer that went something like this.
From them, after a 4-week wait for a reply :
Sorry for the delay coming back to you, ref the 2 issues below:-
Clutch bottles – The issue with the new clutch bottle lid depth is something we are aware of, we do monitor the forums from time to time and have seen this raised. We are currently looking to resolve the problem with the fitment of the caps to the bottles, at this moment in time I do not have a resolution but can assure you it is something we are looking at. Ref the old cap not fitting the new bottle, we have supplied these bottles for a few years now and the issue of the original caps fitting is not something we really get asked about, we could look to have the bottles remade to suit the original caps but this would obviously result a price rise which not every customer wants to pay, as you can appreciate we have to appeal to a market with varying budgets.
The issue with the water deflector I am still waiting for an answer on, I have chased this again today and will let you know as soon as I get an answer.
From me :
Thanks for the partial reply, at least.
Would you mind if I took this up with XXXX (ED - the MD), as has been suggested by some of the Forum contributors, or can I go ahead and quote you ?
So we have bottle still wrong, cap still wrong, and the two don't fit each other - you couldn't make it up.
If you know this to be the case, couldn't the web-site warn people that they can't fill the bottle otherwise it will leak ?
People have been raising this with you for years, it is surprising that you are still looking at.
I don't buy the "more expensive if the original caps fitted" any more than (I suspect) you do, and certainly no more than Forum members will.
That the ones you have a lot of stock of were made with the wrong thread, and need shifting first, that I'll buy - but it costs no more to make a correct thread than an incorrect one when blow-moulding.
It staggers me that stuff like this can get remade and still be hopeless ; I worked in low-volume vehicle parts manufacturing, I can therefore guess the sort of margins that are being made on these parts and I believe there is plenty of slack to get these RIGHT.
From them :
Ref the water shields this is currently with our ‘tech guy’ he was hopefully going to assemble and have a look at how they fit. I am away next week but have asked for an update and will let you know on my return.
Deafening silence since August, no reply to that email, no news about either the bottles or the water-deflector issues.
I always felt a certain compassion and indulgence towards these people, resulting from my having run a not dissimilar business in a parallel field for 20 years, but this was starting to wear thin.
I had left many thousands of pounds with these people over the years, and they couldn't even be bothered to answer emails, even less face up to the hopeless quality of some of their products.
I had often noticed references to M+C Wilkinsons in Yorkshire as producers of interesting odd bits-and-bobs, David pops them into the Forum now and then
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6798
but I had imagined that they were not really Mail-Order people.
I was, however, wrong.
I have now started buying parts from them, and a recent order was a lesson in how to do it - I get answers to my emails, I can get someone on the 'phone, I got a picture taken specially in their workshop to show me a detail I needed, and I can get advice from people who actually work on the cars themselves as - critically - they are using the stuff they sell.
Some of the parts they sold me were evidently sourced from the same Usual Suspect, and were sold to me at the same price, but they say they won't sell parts that they know - from trying to fit them - are no good.
So for anyone fancying a change of tack, I wholeheartedly recommend their services.
Just don't clog the 'phone lines when I'm trying to get through, right ?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7511&p=72231&hilit= ... tle#p72231
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9155&p=71940&hilit=lathe#p71940
I exchanged several emails with one of the Usual Suspects last summer that went something like this.
From them, after a 4-week wait for a reply :
Sorry for the delay coming back to you, ref the 2 issues below:-
Clutch bottles – The issue with the new clutch bottle lid depth is something we are aware of, we do monitor the forums from time to time and have seen this raised. We are currently looking to resolve the problem with the fitment of the caps to the bottles, at this moment in time I do not have a resolution but can assure you it is something we are looking at. Ref the old cap not fitting the new bottle, we have supplied these bottles for a few years now and the issue of the original caps fitting is not something we really get asked about, we could look to have the bottles remade to suit the original caps but this would obviously result a price rise which not every customer wants to pay, as you can appreciate we have to appeal to a market with varying budgets.
The issue with the water deflector I am still waiting for an answer on, I have chased this again today and will let you know as soon as I get an answer.
From me :
Thanks for the partial reply, at least.
Would you mind if I took this up with XXXX (ED - the MD), as has been suggested by some of the Forum contributors, or can I go ahead and quote you ?
So we have bottle still wrong, cap still wrong, and the two don't fit each other - you couldn't make it up.
If you know this to be the case, couldn't the web-site warn people that they can't fill the bottle otherwise it will leak ?
People have been raising this with you for years, it is surprising that you are still looking at.
I don't buy the "more expensive if the original caps fitted" any more than (I suspect) you do, and certainly no more than Forum members will.
That the ones you have a lot of stock of were made with the wrong thread, and need shifting first, that I'll buy - but it costs no more to make a correct thread than an incorrect one when blow-moulding.
It staggers me that stuff like this can get remade and still be hopeless ; I worked in low-volume vehicle parts manufacturing, I can therefore guess the sort of margins that are being made on these parts and I believe there is plenty of slack to get these RIGHT.
From them :
Ref the water shields this is currently with our ‘tech guy’ he was hopefully going to assemble and have a look at how they fit. I am away next week but have asked for an update and will let you know on my return.
Deafening silence since August, no reply to that email, no news about either the bottles or the water-deflector issues.
I always felt a certain compassion and indulgence towards these people, resulting from my having run a not dissimilar business in a parallel field for 20 years, but this was starting to wear thin.
I had left many thousands of pounds with these people over the years, and they couldn't even be bothered to answer emails, even less face up to the hopeless quality of some of their products.
I had often noticed references to M+C Wilkinsons in Yorkshire as producers of interesting odd bits-and-bobs, David pops them into the Forum now and then
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6798
but I had imagined that they were not really Mail-Order people.
I was, however, wrong.
I have now started buying parts from them, and a recent order was a lesson in how to do it - I get answers to my emails, I can get someone on the 'phone, I got a picture taken specially in their workshop to show me a detail I needed, and I can get advice from people who actually work on the cars themselves as - critically - they are using the stuff they sell.
Some of the parts they sold me were evidently sourced from the same Usual Suspect, and were sold to me at the same price, but they say they won't sell parts that they know - from trying to fit them - are no good.
So for anyone fancying a change of tack, I wholeheartedly recommend their services.
Just don't clog the 'phone lines when I'm trying to get through, right ?