Page 1 of 1
#1 Dream Garage (Doors)
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:34 am
by Steve Marshall
I want to put new, more secure doors on my small double garage (2 separate doors).
Does anybody have any good/bad experience of installer/suppliers in the SE of England to share?
Steve
#2 Re: Dream Garage (Doors)
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:00 am
by Nickleback
Steve,
I put two large heavy duty new oak doors on my single garage and had a good experience with an Andover based supplier.
Is that the type of doors you were looking for ?
#3 Re: Dream Garage (Doors)
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:35 pm
by chrisfell
There is no such thing as a totally secure garage door. All doors of any manufacture can be prized, broken, hammered crowbarred axed gemmied open. And even if you fit the most secure door, all that does is deflect the determined tea leaf to another point of entry. As one who has constructed buildings in the past I know where any building's weakest points are likely to be. Triple locked doors and windows ain't it. They are just the most convenient particularly for getting a car out and away. Best to spend time and money on theft deterrents - proximity alarms PIR triggered lights Dobermans cameras etc.
Either that or own a bag of nails 2+2 generously insure it and live over the garage, which is what I do.
#4 Re: Dream Garage (Doors)
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:31 pm
by Steve Marshall
Hi thanks for the input.
I should have been clearer, I was looking for a supplier/installer with a good rep in the Herts/Middlesex area.
I am pretty much stuck with a sectional up-and-over door due to spatial constraints, and I don't have great expectations about the security level to be achieved.
Steve
#5 Re: Dream Garage (Doors)
Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Steve....cant recomend fitters but have you looked at roller doors.....i recently removed my up and over as i fitted a lift and with the car up the door would not open.....would be a good time to think of possibly a lift of some sort...maybee a scissor type that lifts the car approx 1mt.....i used Gararoll doors.....fitted myself very easy