Page 1 of 1

#1 car transportation

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:14 pm
by heathcot
Hi

Can anyone recommend anyone who is reliable to pick up a car from Felixtowe to East Yorkshire please

will be around 8th MAy

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

#2 Re: car transportation

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 pm
by PaulColeman
I use a guy called Rob. His company is called TR Recovery 07447 277277. He took my Esprit from Bedford to Exeter for £200.

#3 Re: car transportation

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:07 pm
by 71 V12
This company moved a db5 for me from Knaresborough to Goodwood a couple of years ago.

http://www.yorkshirenavigator.co.uk/

I can't recall the name of the guy that runs the business but a one man band - was really helpful and flexible. Can't have been too expensive either as it was a clients car I was moving and he was a really tight sod.

#4 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:55 am
by 288gto
The bodyshop that did my shell use these guys based in Derbyshire.

http://www.wabtec-developments.com

Image

Probably not the cheapest but familiar with more exotic cars.

Simon

#5 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am
by cactusman
Can't recommend anyone I am afraid but who ever you use, make sure that if they are winching the car onto a trailer they know where and where NOT to secure the winch cable. All to easy to choose the wrong bit of the frame at the front and damage and distort the frame section the bonnet secures to. Also easy for the cable to damage the underside of the front of the bonnet I'd imagine.

#6 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:43 am
by 288gto
Good point Julian, The trailer in my pic is a full tilting bed one so the car goes on at a very shallow angle. I was there when they loaded it up, quite an impressive bit of kit. £30k though apparently. The trailer that is, not to move the car. :lol:

And perhaps stating the obvious but make sure they are fully insured.

Simon

#7 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:48 pm
by christopher storey
Simon : did they tie the car on its dolly down to anything before moving off ? The chocking is all very well, but what about the effect of a big bump in the road ?

#8 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:47 pm
by 288gto
Don't worry Christopher, the dolly I made myself so that it bolts to the radius arm mounts and to the reaction plate mounts. The dolly was then strapped to the trailer bed.
If you look the dolly wheels also extend further back give it more stability.

Simon

#9 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:19 am
by Nickleback
cactusman wrote:Can't recommend anyone I am afraid but who ever you use, make sure that if they are winching the car onto a trailer they know where and where NOT to secure the winch cable. All to easy to choose the wrong bit of the frame at the front and damage and distort the frame section the bonnet secures to. Also easy for the cable to damage the underside of the front of the bonnet I'd imagine.
Julian,
You are so.... correct !, this is what happenened to mine in America and they bent the radiator support frame and dented all the lower front sub bonnet panel, it is very easily done by picking the wrong winching point on the front of the car

Image

#10 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:12 am
by cactusman
Oh dear nickleback. Disaster......i guess you are all sorted out now. it is also something to be aware of should one need to call out the rescue services. If you need a flatbed home then watch very carefully when they secure the winch. If the driver is an old timer they will know but if not some friendly advice could save you a whole load of heartache and a huge repair bill. Bloke I had was a good un.

#11 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:32 am
by Herzeg
Julian

I have no idea where to attach a tow. Can you enlighten me just in case the worse happens? I am assuming you would need to go right under the front and attach to either the main frame or somewhere on the suspension?

John

#12 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:42 am
by mgcjag
Lower front wishbone

#13 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:46 am
by cactusman
Some secure around the main picture frame bottom bar I believe. Be careful the rope does not damage the under side of the bonnet. My chap secured a large nylon strap between the two front lower wish bones with the strap coming forward to a mid point just beyond the bonnet. He secured the wire winch cable at this point and threw some towels around the strap where it went under the car towards each wishbone although I don't think the straps touched the bonnet anyway. Presumably one could do the same at the rear of the car.

#14 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 am
by mgcjag
The lower front wishbone is the lowest strongest point to pull from...if you pull from the picture frame you seriously risk the rope/ winch cable tensioning into the bonnet and damaging it......try for yourself attach a rope to various places...strech it out the front and look at what it touches on.....anything it touches when the cable is tightened will have upward forces applied to it

#15 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:24 pm
by heathcot
Many thanks for your replies

I was worried about winching via the radiator frame.........Ive seen several badly damaged bonnets when idiots have tried to jack the car up using that too instead of the picture frame

The car is a runner but has no brakes!!

I was concerned that using something like shiply attracted the cowboys!

i will contact those mentioned

Thanks

Paul

#16 Re: car transportation

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:39 pm
by Herzeg
Thanks guys for the info. It's almost worth creating your own tow cable that fits to the wishbones and has a sort of T-shape to provide for the tow guy. I know it's negative thinking but worth it if you are miles from home, or worse still with a language barrier involved. Mind you, how many of us visit Newcastle?

John

#17 Re: car transportation

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 am
by mark10337
I'd thought of that myself also as a mod. The towing eye mod on the rear IRS plate is available (see Rob Beere) but most occasions require for us heavy duty road users,something at the front of the vehicle. The best thing I'd seen from one towing even was a sling type attachment round each lower wishbone. These then hooked onto a ring on a towing strap forming a Y. That seems to be about the best setup we could wish for. I can't really think of any places on the front underframe that could be modded for towing.

#18 Re: car transportation

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:02 pm
by Corvian
Hi! What company did you end up choosing?

#19 Re: car transportation

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:42 am
by TauberNewton
I know this thread is pretty old, but I figured I'd chime in in case anyone else is looking for reliable car transportation. As for picking up a car from Felixtowe to East Yorkshire, I don't have any specific recommendations, but you could try checking out local car transport companies or posting on social media to see if anyone has any recommendations. Also, https://www.crosscountrycarshipping.com/ is a great option for shipping cars across the country. Just make sure to do your research and read reviews before choosing a company to transport your car. It's important to find someone reliable and trustworthy to ensure your car arrives safely.