Post
by cactusman » Sun May 07, 2017 6:49 pm
There is a short piece in the May issue of classic motoring. The DVLA do have a points based system and, it seems, are now enforcing it. With the rolling 40 year exemption and likely (although unwise in my view) exemption of historic vehicles from the mot test, probably an enforcement to be welcomed. The points system will not result in Q plates for those who restore and maintain originality. As I understand it minor mods to brakes for example are also just fine. Making one car into another or using 99% new parts to "restore" a car probably not fine. While I can understand the frustration of the abovementioned I have to say I have little sympathy. If one wants an ots then buy one. I suspect protestations will not get far....
The exemption is for cars that are 40+ years old and not for hybrids. Jaguar make clear that the new light weights cannot be registered as historic cars. They would have to undergo an IVA test (which I suspect they would fail) and if they did pass would get a new number.....and have to wait 40 years to become tax exempt.
All started, or so I understand, with people "restoring" old bugatti's using essentially all new parts and getting the owners club to issue retrospective chassis numbers. The Dvla are rightly ensuring that only those who are entitled to historic vehicle status get it.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too