Scam alert!

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#1 Scam alert!

Post by Simonpfhc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:12 am

Hi all,

There is currently an Etype for sale as a restoration project on eBay listed as item number 222530102268. It appears to be from a reputable dealer in Greece at a reasonable price. I made an enquiry and was sent back photos of the Heritage certificate and chassis plate - both of which had been digitally altered. It is advertised as chassis number 886155. This does not exist on XKEdata. However, 886154 does exist and is the exact same car, which was for sale in the US just last year. All the photos I was sent of the car for sale in Greece, are the exact same photos that appear on XKEdata from the US.

Just a heads-up.

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Heuer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 am

Suggest you add an entry for 886155 warning people.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#3 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Simonpfhc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:28 am

That's a very good idea, will do.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: Scam alert!

Post by cactusman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:54 pm

Kdc-cars....zero feedback on eBay although they have a flash website....there is also a 2+2 for sale in Slovakia and our friend Mr Pallas has a turn key V12 in croatia.....all. conveniently inconvenient places to get to.....I would be wary of the other two as well....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FLYV
Slovakia

#5 Re: Scam alert!

Post by FLYV » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:13 pm

The car from Slovakia definitely exists,Iwas there about two hours ago.it is located in a restoration shop in Ostrava where my 3.8 fhc is beeing now serviced
Marek
63 FHC
69 OTS
1987 911 CARRERA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#6 Re: Scam alert!

Post by cactusman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 pm

That is good news. Trouble is that eBay is now the home to more and more fraudsters and scammers so one starts to suspect any and all adverts, especially when they are in far flung parts of the world....the Pallas one is probably genuine too but you would need to see the car and the docs before parting with any cash....the ad from Greece looks so genuine too....except it seems it isn't apparently....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#7 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Hugo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:17 pm

A friend of mine was proposing to buy an expensive BMW located in Hungary and listed on ebay at about two thirds of market price. They were offering to ship it to the UK on receipt of a deposit or full payment, I forget which. I suggested to her that the seller had just photographed a nice looking car in a car park somewhere and was trying to scam somebody. I had to explain to her the obvious truism that people don't intentionally sell cars in an open auction at well below the market value, except for wives trying to get back at cheating husbands perhaps. If it's too good to be true ....
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Scam alert!

Post by mgcjag » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Have reported it to ebay......
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#9 Re: Scam alert!

Post by christopher storey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 am

If this car really exists, as FLYV suggests , why does the advertisement use pictures of another car 4500 miles away?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#10 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Herzeg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 am

FLYV wrote:The car from Slovakia definitely exists,Iwas there about two hours ago.it is located in a restoration shop in Ostrava where my 3.8 fhc is beeing now serviced
Maybe I'm being too cynical FLYV but we are talking about a scammer and suddenly you post that you saw it two hours ago whilst your car was being serviced. Can you perhaps put my mind at rest and give us some details of where the garage is and maybe details of your car? Your posts tell us nothing, other than you joined some years ago.

There are people out there who give 100% ratings on Ebay to their scammer friends and that just sounds like the same thing :?: As I said maybe too cynical but ...
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FLYV
Slovakia

#11 Re: Scam alert!

Post by FLYV » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 am

You can find my car on XKEDATA under 889270.the car from ebay is located at autovujtek.cz and the seller is classic-jaguars.eu.I know them both very good.if you wish,I can post photos of the cars on friday when i come there to pick up my car.I know,that there are lots of scammers on ebay,but also,not everyone from eastern europe must be a scammer.
Marek
63 FHC
69 OTS
1987 911 CARRERA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#12 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Red Kite » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:10 am

Something amiss with that site according to Google ?

"Safe Browsing Site Status
Google’s Safe Browsing technology examines billions of URLs per day looking for unsafe websites. Every day, we discover thousands of new unsafe sites, many of which are legitimate websites that have been compromised. When we detect unsafe sites, we show warnings on Google Search and in web browsers. You can search to see whether a website is currently dangerous to visit.
This site is unsafe

The site http://www.classic-jaguars.eu contains harmful content, including pages that:

Send visitors to harmful websites "
Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#13 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Heuer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:57 am

You can access the site by Android phone or tablet and it looks genuine enough - mostly XK's and a few E-Type's. Down to the webmaster to register the site with Google if they want the block removed. They have this one:

David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#14 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Hugo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:38 am

The plot thickens. I clicked on the link you posted, and it came up with a warnng describing it as an 'attack page', saying it would try to install stuff that would hack my personal information etc etc. But there was no indication where the warning page came from. At the bottom was a button that said "Get me out of here". I think many people would be alarmed by the warning page & would quickly hit this panic button. I did not. I'm wondering whether that is the whole idea - you think you've been sent a legitimate warning but in fact it is just another trick to get you to hit the panic button at the bottom - and that is where the real trap lies?
Or am I just being too cynical? This whole saga does sound very odd, doesn't it?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#15 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Hugo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am

The link that Mr Red kite posted was the one I clicked on.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#16 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Heuer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:54 am

The warning is legitimate and will appear on any Windows based machine. It does not mean the site itself contains malicious code but it could be there are links to sites that do host malware. You will get the same message from Google, Firefox, IE, Edge etc. The site owner just needs to follow the correct procedure and the warning will go. Not doing so quickly is however a blow to customer confidence in what they offer so I would be reluctant to have anything to do with them. Basically if they can't maintain their web site properly what chance do the cars they offer stand :scratchheadyellow:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#17 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Herzeg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:33 pm

FLYV wrote:You can find my car on XKEDATA under 889270.the car from ebay is located at autovujtek.cz and the seller is classic-jaguars.eu.I know them both very good.if you wish,I can post photos of the cars on friday when i come there to pick up my car.I know,that there are lots of scammers on ebay,but also,not everyone from eastern europe must be a scammer.
I didn't say that you were a scammer, just that you had no car listed and it was a big co-incidence. Thanks for your info and glad to see you're one of the good guys. Sorry if any offence caused, but just felt I had to ask.
Actually I like Eastern Europeans, I'm married to one.

Nice looking car by the way, why not put some pictures up. Must be fairly unique in Slovakia to have an E-Type
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FLYV
Slovakia

#18 Re: Scam alert!

Post by FLYV » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes,you are right,I know only of few etypes in Slovakia,mostly series 2 cars.Will post some photos and info about the car in the welcome thread.thanks,but on the xkedata picture it looks like it could be a matchbox car. :lol:
Marek
63 FHC
69 OTS
1987 911 CARRERA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#19 Re: Scam alert!

Post by mark10337 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:11 pm

The stpallas (Mario) flat floor car that was on eBay recently definitely exists. I had my hand on it 2 weeks ago. It was in one of the Coys auctions recently and didn't sell and is still in their showroom in Richmond (as is chassis #15 restored by CMC).

The stpallas restoration is one of the worst seen regarding quality and originality.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#20 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Hugo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:17 pm

stpallas - he's the guy in New Jersey who exports unrestored cars, isn't he?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Locked Previous topicNext topic