£95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Talk about E-Types here
User avatar

Topic author
politeperson
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:26 pm
Location: Boston UK
Great Britain

#1 £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by politeperson » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Tempted?

Look at the guide and tell me I am not dreaming.

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auct ... 8-peel-50/
Image
Finishing off an S1 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


JagWaugh
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:56 pm
Location: Eglisau, Switzerland
Switzerland

#2 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by JagWaugh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Well, it hasn't got any crossover pipes, or windshield nozzles, and it's probably quite easy to bleed the brakes (it does have brakes, doesn't it?). If you decided to do a full restoration you'd have very little to have rechromed, you wouldn't need Koolmat or such, and you'd probably get away with a pint of primer, a pint of filler, and a pint of color. You could probably redo the interior with samples from the suppliers, and since all 4 bits of glass are dead flat, it's probably quite easy to fit new seals.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Turnip
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 am
Location: Wiltshire
Great Britain

#3 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by Turnip » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:04 pm

I think I'd rather have the previous lot, the Alfa Romeo Giulia GT Sprint, for about 1/3rd of the price.

Simon
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#4 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by christopher storey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:31 am

You don't need brakes. You simply turn the steering wheel, and it stops immediately on its roof - I am not ( really ) joking - there is a video of a cream coloured Peel which shows its instability perfectly

I would be surprised if it attracts a single bid

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

chrisfell
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Salisbury
St Lucia

#5 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by chrisfell » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:48 am

Motor mouth Clarkson once drove one of these around BBC's television centre. Around the inside of the building! As I recall it has no reverse gear, to turn round you get out and pick the front of the 'car' up and turn it around!

And as this for £95k. I think I'll go along to the auction and when nothing happens, offer up a bid of 50p!
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

malcolm
Posts: 2530
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am
Location: Fleet
Great Britain

#6 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by malcolm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:52 am

Sadly, it's the wrong colour, otherwise I'd buy it in a heartbeat ................. :wink:
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Gfhug
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty
Great Britain

#7 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by Gfhug » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 am

chrisfell wrote:I think I'll go along to the auction and when nothing happens, offer up a bid of 50p!
Just hope you don't win :doh:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9245
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#8 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by mgcjag » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am

New now available £6.5k but old originals have been fetching big money.....Your all going to be suprised http://p50cars.com/
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

chrisfell
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Salisbury
St Lucia

#9 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by chrisfell » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Gfhug wrote:
chrisfell wrote:I think I'll go along to the auction and when nothing happens, offer up a bid of 50p!
Just hope you don't win :doh:

Geoff
Apparently I got it wrong, the carry handle to 'reverse' the car is at the back, not the front. Not sure if that justifies the extra £94,999.50!
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


288gto
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Russia

#10 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by 288gto » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:22 pm

mgcjag wrote:New now available £6.5k but old originals have been fetching big money.....Your all going to be suprised http://p50cars.com/
I had a look at the website Steve but sadly can't see a Hayabusa 1300cc version. :lol:

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

chrisfell
Posts: 1597
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Salisbury
St Lucia

#11 Re: £95k to spend on a car? Forget E types-this is the one for you.

Post by chrisfell » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:15 am

288gto wrote:
mgcjag wrote:New now available £6.5k but old originals have been fetching big money.....Your all going to be suprised http://p50cars.com/
I had a look at the website Steve but sadly can't see a Hayabusa 1300cc version. :lol:

Simon
I was thinking that to give it a performance boost I'd need to fit a Briggs and Stratton 140cc engine, replacing the 50cc motor. If it works for go karts, why not? Failing that I could dontate the engine from my ZZR1100. There wouldn't be much room left inside for a people to sit, but the performance would be interesting.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic