Page 1 of 1
#1 Great autumn drive in the E-type
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:26 pm
by TrevS
Hi all
With the unseasonal weather we've had this weekend I thought I'd take the chance to get the E-type out for one of probably the last drives of the year. What a great day and drive, I spent most of the afternoon discovering local roads around near where I live that I've never taken the time to explore and just getting lost. Even found a nice spot to take a few pictures.
I still love the car as much as I did when I first got her and the reaction she gets anywhere I go is just fantastic but alas I do wonder if it will stay with me for much longer. I've barely used the car all year and have only used it to take to a handful of car shows so I may have to consider swapping back to something a bit newer for more regular use that I can also use with my 2 year old son. No idea what I would replace it with, maybe an Aston again but we'll see. For now I've got one more trip next week to Silverstone for the Pistonheads Sunday service and then a small list of jobs that I want to do under the bonnet over the winter until I make my mind up what I should do.
Trev
#2 Re: Great autumn drive in the E-type
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 am
by malcolm
Or use your lovely car more? Perhaps join a driving club? I belong to the JDC, and so far this year, I've done a week in Brittany, 2 weeks (nearly) touring through Belgium, France, Luxembourg and Germany, I've done a track day at Goodwood, and more "run outs" than I can remember. I do in the order of 4,000 miles a year. But I do uinderstand about the 2 year old - can a car seat be fitted?
#3 Re: Great autumn drive in the E-type
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 am
by TrevS
malcolm wrote:Or use your lovely car more? Perhaps join a driving club? I belong to the JDC, and so far this year, I've done a week in Brittany, 2 weeks (nearly) touring through Belgium, France, Luxembourg and Germany, I've done a track day at Goodwood, and more "run outs" than I can remember. I do in the order of 4,000 miles a year. But I do uinderstand about the 2 year old - can a car seat be fitted?
Not sure a car seat is the answer as I would always worry about safety. I originally bought the car before we had my son thinking that if I left it I'd never own an E-type. So at least I can say I've owned one and ticked it off my bucket list but priorities change and I really want a car that we can both enjoy as he gets older. Finding something the replace the car with though is nearly impossible, modern cars just don't have the same visual appeal
#4 Re: Great autumn drive in the E-type
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:37 am
by chrisfell
Trev,
The answer is a 2+2. All the E-type fun of ownership and use, twice the utility value, half the initial outlay. OK it looks like the E-Type's ugly hunch-backed sister, but most people can't tell the difference.
#5 Re: Great autumn drive in the E-type
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:17 pm
by Series1 Stu
Trev
If I was in your position, knowing what I do now, I would do my utmost to keep the car. I sold my 911 a couple of years ago because I just didn't use it enough and I miss that car so much.
I've even been considering selling my Land Rover because I've put about 300 miles on it in 15 months but I used it yesterday and loved it so much. I'll delay that decision for another year, maybe.
I'm fortune in having an understanding wife and plenty of room to keep a fleet.
Regards
#6 Re: Great autumn drive in the E-type
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 pm
by chrisfell
“I'm fortune in having an understanding wife and plenty of room to keep a fleet.”
Got neither of those, had a wife who wasn’t understanding once (won’t make that mistake again). And who wants a fleet?
My 2+2 is my off-roader (Goodwood carpark this year), my van (taking trash to the recycling centre), my estate car (suitcases and presents taken to rellies around the borders and major cities of Scotland), my sports car (fast runs on a Sunday afternoon), my GT car (continental touring), my family car (son and grandson to the seaside) and my daily driver (can you imagine the constant attention it gets in the works carpark?)
#7 Re: Great autumn drive in the E-type
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 am
by Jupiter
Trevor - I bought a x2 seat S1.5 FHC 30 years ago. Wife left when I my son was 2 years old and I kept the car - just!
Never looked back really and I have used it for hi days and holidays ever since, travelling all over Europe and UK with my son by my side on holidays. First strapped into a car seat until enough without. Wife no.2 appreciates it now, son has left home but we still go out together - it's part of the family. Keep it if you can. You only regret the sales!