Page 1 of 1
#1 Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:41 pm
by Barry
A winter project I have on my list is to clean up all my gauges, including re-painting the bezels. Anyone know where I can get the proper satin black paint to complete this task? It would be easy if in an aerosol can! Thanks. Barry
#2 Re: Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:46 pm
by Kember17
Barry,
Possibly heresy in terms of originality, but I have used
https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/33-black- ... paint.html to good effect, having etch primed the bezel first.
Peter
#3 Re: Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 pm
by BRM
Halfords do a satin black
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... 00ml-300ml
I think this is the same stuff I used to smarten up my old Rover 820 some years ago. It gave a nice satin finish which I think would be right for the bezels.
#4 Re: Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 pm
by Bobb
When I did mine a few years back I experimented with various mixtures of gloss and matte enamel model paint (either Testors or Humbrol). I sprayed them all with an airbrush. Use Testors airbrush thinner for enamel as it's goof proof.
#5 Re: Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:27 pm
by Barry
Thanks guys. I have enough to go on, and will probably have a trial with all three suggestions. I have an excellent De Vilbis model spray gun I can use. Keep me quiet on a damp and cold winter day!
Cheers, Barry.
#6 Re: Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:57 am
by JagWaugh
I've done a few with satin black from a hobby shop.
Another possibility (if they are brass) is to strip the paint, polish, then have them plated in black nickel. It's tricky to get the shine down to a satin, glass beading or acid etching the shine back down are two possibilities. (my plater etched them, and they came out great).
#7 Re: Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am
by SimonBrown
Autoglym do a Satin Black aerosol which I have used on my instrument bezels. The finish is excellent and replicates the original
#8 Re: Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am
by Barry
Thanks Simon, I’ll give that a try as well. What impressed me with your suggestion is the reference to an original type finish. I will have to do some sampling!
#9 Re: Gauge Bezel Paint
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 am
by cactusman
Don't spray on a cold damp day unless you and the things to be sprayed are tucked up warm....
