Page 1 of 1
#1 Dunlop Racing tyre.
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:31 pm
by lee-type
Good evening guys.
When i'm at shows i always like to have a look at what tyres people are using on there cars.
I have never been up close to a E-type lightweight car to see what size tyres are fitted the the wide arch cars.
Anyone know the model and sizes most commonly used?
Cheers.
#2 Re: Dunlop Racing tyre.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:31 am
by PeterCrespin
Depends if you want to be legal or not. Only one type of Dunlop race tyre is road legal - google which one. I have Blockleys instead. All race tyres for classics are cross-ply AFAIK. The size system is old school - mine are 6.50 rear 6.0 front.
#3 Re: Dunlop Racing tyre.
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:23 pm
by dal2.0litrefrogeye
On my 8 inch rear Dunlop s I use a 245/60 /15 Avon cr6 and a 225/65/15 cr6 on the front 7" Dunlops
#4 Re: Dunlop Racing tyre.
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 am
by malcolm
PeterCrespin wrote: ↑Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:31 am
All race tyres for classics are crossply AFAIK.
Why are they crossply Peter?
#5 Re: Dunlop Racing tyre.
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:17 pm
by PeterCrespin
Dunno. Thinking out loud...
All tyres used to be tall crossplies but modern road cars get better mileage and comfort from heavier radials and they can go very low profile whereas classic car suspensions are designed for tall tyres. I know race tyres can be 2-ply where the street version is 4-ply to withstand potholes and kerbing etc. i think alart from maybe materials a classic Dunlop race tyres is ztill the same as a 1950s Englebert or Dunlop etc, but could be wrong. I know Jag did use ‘Stabilia’ Dunlops on Le Mans cars and they may have been an early semi-radial.
From which hou will deduce not only don’t I know but the very statement quoted could be wrong! Your turn....
#6 Re: Dunlop Racing tyre.
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:28 pm
by malcolm
Me? I know naaarthing as Manuel would say
But thanks anyway!
#7 Re: Dunlop Racing tyre.
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 pm
by jag68
Why are they cross ply? Well I suspect it's because they want to maintain a vintage look to the racing. Watching those great lurid over steering power slides around corners at Goodwood is very entertaining. You can't do that on radials. First they loose grip without much warning and quite suddenly when at the limit. Bias plys are very predictable at the limit and will slide sideways in a very controllable fashion. Secondly radials overheat when sliding and the rubber turns to slippery goo. At least modern ones do.