Page 1 of 2
#1 Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:31 am
by malcolm
So, think I want to get waxoyl/dinitrol or something squirted into my sills. Help and advice would be great! What product do people prefer, and does anyone know of a good firm in the Hampshire area that could do it? I live in Fleet.
#2 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:59 pm
by christopher storey
I like clear waxoyl, mainly for the reason that it is inherently less messy than the black stuff, but secondarily because any of these products if properly applied i.e. in warm conditions and preheated certainly in the case of waxoyl , gradually seep out of holes and joints that one would never suspect were permeable . This doesn't look too bad in the case of clear waxoyl and can be removed with white spirit, but in the case of the black stuff........
Sorry, no local knowledge of the south
#3 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:04 pm
by malcolm
Thanks Christopher, clear it will be. Have seen one supplier suggesting clear Mercasol - anyone heard of this?
#4 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:07 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Malcolm..just beware parking on tarmac if you have drips with waxoil....it will eat into it....as i found out after parking on a freshly laid drive... Steve
#5 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:17 pm
by spanish 2+2
+1 for clear wax oil , cheaper than other rust inhibitor s, but just as good in my humble opinion.
#6 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 pm
by malcolm
Thanks both
#7 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:36 pm
by JerryL770
mmmm Mine is Waxoyled but I have no idea how much got into the sills.
I went to speak with a local Dinitrol installer and his opinion of Waxoyl of course was not high, but his main argument seemed to make sense.
As alluded to above, applying Waxoyl hot allows it to run into some places the spray does not reach. So what happens when the car sits out in the sun? The bodywork gets blooming hot, the Waxoyl melts and all runs down to the bottom ...... perhaps. Maybe that's where it protects most against water running also to the bottom?
I was quoted £800 +VAT to do the job which would involve removing internal trim, steam (?) heating the Waxoyl out and applying the Dinitrol.
If you want to know where appliers are, go to the Dinitrol website.
#8 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm
by chrisfell
I’ve been using waxoyl (clear) for decades, long before E-Types entered my life. It’s power to prevent the spread of (existing) rust was proven for me on my Dolomite Sprint which was my daily driver for most of the 20 years I owned it.
On a practical note, somewhere and I don’t recall whether it was from here or J-L, there is a chart showing where to inject the fluid to protect all box sections. The chart came from Dinitrol.
#9 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:27 pm
by malcolm
I did look at Dinitrol sites. The supplier who I've had a chat with uses either Waxoyl or Mercasol clear. The Mercasol is marginally more expensive. He steam cleans all underneath, then Mercasols the underneath, arches, suspension and sill sections. Car in all day, £525 inc. V.A.T. Sounds ok - still hoping to hear if anyone has heard of Mercasol.
#10 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:06 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Malcolm...dont like the sound of the steam cleaning...you will end up with water squeezed into every nook and cranny befor you even start....Steve
#11 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:41 pm
by 288gto
After some research I used Dynax S50 and have been very pleased with it, especially the fact that unlike Waxoyl it is more resistant to higher temperatures while still achieving good penetration. I’ve used Waxoyl before and the Dynax is no where near as messy and seems to stay in place on vertical surfaces better.
I’ve used Dinitrol high temperature wax protection in the bulkhead because of the heat from the heater pipes. Waxoyl would soon be dripping on your feet.
Some interesting reading. Scroll down and click on “details”.
https://www.bilthamber.com/dynax-s50
I also used a cheap borescope to check inside all the cavities to make sure I’d got complete coverage.
Simon
#12 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:05 pm
by Jeremy66
Another vote for Dynax here, always used to use waxoyl but was never particularly impressed.
The Dynax doesn’t suffer the issues of having to be heated to apply properly like waxoyl does and it flows and creeps very well. I bought two spray cans and have done the entire car with it.
It takes a day or so to stop running in warm weather so go gently with it!
#13 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:35 am
by malcolm
Thanks again!
#14 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 am
by Jeremy
+1 for Dynax S50. Very high searching/penetrating properties, so it flows into the most minute gaps, then the volatile solvents evaporate rapidly so it stays there. And the tests show it outperforms everything else. I bought boxes of aerosols with the long probes, taped over every conceivable orifice except the drain holes, spread a huge plastic sheet under the bodyshell, and pumped it in everywhere. Very messy, very satisfying...

#15 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:43 am
by JerryL770
chrisfell wrote: ↑Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm
On a practical note, somewhere and I don’t recall whether it was from here or J-L,
there is a chart showing where to inject the fluid to protect all box sections. The chart came from Dinitrol.
That's what I would like to know, irrespective of what is injected. I'm looking for it.

#16 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:52 am
by mgcjag
#17 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:11 pm
by JerryL770
Thanks very much Steve.
The only trouble is, the pictures are posted to postimages.org and I cannot open them
David, no way of forcing postimages.cc??
#18 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:26 pm
by mgcjag
Can you see them now.....changed them to .cc although i could see them...Steve
#19 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:25 pm
by Ian Cooke
Hi Steve
I still can't see them. There are also some other images that I can't see - David's (Heuer) for example.
Ian
#20 Re: Advice on rustproofing treatment please?
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 pm
by Heuer
Weird. I will check it out but I suggest Imgur is the best hosting platform for photos.
You could try clearing the cache (link at bottom of Home page or clearing your browser cache.