Page 1 of 2
#1 E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:58 pm
by dal2.0litrefrogeye
So is it me or is there a " thing" going on where if you have an E your have a Corvette too ? Just something I've noticed along the way , or secondly there seams to be an E and frogeye crossover "thing" aswell going on , any thoughts ???

#2 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:33 pm
by 288gto
I have neither a Frogeye or a Corvette Darren but then again I do find the whole Corvette thing a bit too manly and butch for my trips to the hairdressers in an OTS.

#3 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:19 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Darren....your mixing with the wrong bunch

#4 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:18 pm
by Durango2k
I am a Citroen Fan, so I love their Maserati Co- masterpiece. But the shape of the E-Type always fascinated me ever - since, so I had to get one.
Carsten
#5 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:11 pm
by dal2.0litrefrogeye
Simon ...... ironically I was sitting in the barbers ( waiting for him to cut round my backwards baseball cap ) when I wrote this

#6 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 pm
by H7OB
There might be a bit of an E - 911 thing as well. Another great, reliable, all year round sports car!

#7 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 pm
by abowie
I had a Bugeye 30 years ago and I'd own a 1958/59 Corvette although I am otherwise repelled by American cars.
I recently tried to swap my 3.8 OTS for a 308 Vetroresina without any success.
I agree that the early 911s have appeal but essentially I lose interest after about 1970.
#8 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:00 pm
by Jeremy
I quite fancied the Bullitt Mustang. Especially its angry face when the baddies see it in the rear view mirror coming over the brow of the hill. But I didn't like it enough to want to own one - the interior seemed tasteless and plasticky.
#9 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:26 pm
by 265bhp
H7OB wrote: ↑Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 pm
There might be a bit of an E - 911 thing as well. Another great, reliable, all year round sports car!
Yup...+1 on that combination, early 911’s are phenomenal cars, so well engineered and constructed, designed from the onset with years of potential development
#10 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:20 am
by Robbiee
Early 912 for me
#11 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:48 am
by chrisfell
It was only ever the E-Type. Back in 61 there were no other cars like it, nothing even close. The Italians had their Blacksmiths, the Germans their quaint little Bug, the French had stopped making their Bugatti’s many years before, and the Americans were still building cars with suspension more suited to a horse drawn trailer. There was nothing else, no equal.
#12 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 am
by Durango2k
Maybe the question needs to be changed:
„ I have a budget of 60.000. Which classic should I buy, and why should it be an E-Type“?
On that point I can add that the french where far ahead and are still not ultra - expensive so thats what I love. I mean if you see the technology you get in a DS of which they sold 1.5 million cars, it was in fact more of a peoples car then many many others. I am soooooo lucky that they sold so many E’s. Oh and I sold my Pagoda because it was so stone-ageish. The SM is so much better in almost anything. The only improvement they ever did at Mercedes was to put in a bigger engine. But the rest was pure fifties. The SM is space age against that. And I am still very eager to learn how my 2+2 will feel in daily comparison to the SM / DS couple I have.
Carsten
#13 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 pm
by Series1 Stu
Don't laugh, but for me the perfect stablemate for my E Type is a Silver Cloud. Should have bought one a few years back. One day maybe.
I love my Series 3 Land Rover too.
#14 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:16 pm
by chrisfell
“stablemate for my E Type is a Silver Cloud”
Gotta Crewe built Turbo R, is that close enough?
#15 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 pm
by Nick V12 e type

I’ve always liked the idea of an S3 Rolls to go with my S3 E type. There is is a strong link back to my favourite childhood TV program Thunderbirds with Lady Penolopy and the every cool Parker driving the Rolls.
Nick
#16 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:00 am
by Series1 Stu
Bentley Turbo R? I'd love one but it's a completely different beast to a Silver Cloud.
Lady Penelope's RR. Pink...... no thanks.
#17 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:05 pm
by Jaglex
How about a real Mini?
I love driving mine in town.
The only problem is: The lady loves it too.
#18 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:50 pm
by Stephanie Plum
E Type and 2000 Tuscan here. Straight six engine, long bonnet, gorgeous looks. Perfect pair

#19 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:01 am
by lopena
For me: ‘64 3.8 E-type OTS, ‘69 911S, ‘88 328GTB.
One front-engine, one rear-engine, one mid-engine.
One English, one German, one Italian.
Three totally different driving experiences and I can’t honestly say which one I like the best.
Alan
New Jersey
#20 Re: E Type equals what other classic
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am
by Harold Lang
Besides the '62 E Type, there is a Midyear Corvette. My wife has the Bugeye