Page 1 of 1

#1 E type Picture

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 pm
by E600
I have several tomes relating to E Types some general and some specific to the competition cars and I recall seeing a double page spread of a Low Drag, airborne on the crest of a hill, probably taken at the ‘Ring, back in the day.

For the life of me I can’t find this picture having scoured all my books. Perhaps I have lent the particular book out and never got it back or misplaced it.

Can someone please put my mind at rest and direct me to where this photo is. It’s begining to interfere with my sleep now.

Thanks
Pat

#2 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:32 am
by PeterCrespin
Can’t help with the pic Pat,; but your question immediately reminded of this video at what is likely to be the exact same spot. See around 55 seconds - a flight probably longer than Orville and Wilbur’s first effort..



I would imagine that coming, like the D from the pre-downforce era, the Low-drag’s aerofoil profile probably generated a fair bit of lift?

#3 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:41 am
by malcolm
Great video Peter. But was the ferrari faster on the circuit, or was the ferrari driver better? He certainly seemed to try harder.

#4 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 pm
by E600
Wow

#5 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:06 pm
by christopher storey
It's amazing just how realistic simulations now are : it is really only the cars themselves which give away the fact that this is a sim rather than the genuine thing

#6 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:20 pm
by mgcjag
Landing like that would surely have left some damage or marks on the track...cant see any.....Steve

#7 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:23 pm
by malcolm
Is that really true? A sim? took me in completely!

#8 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:02 pm
by Simon P
Yes, the gap in quality between a sim and the output from a cheap low-res video camera is getting ever smaller......

:bigrin:

#9 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:23 pm
by rossbraithwaite
Is it possible that you are confusing it with the well known photo of the BMW 3.0CSL driven by Hans Stuck which as you descibe is airbourne at the 'Ring? I think the photo is known as "Batmobile; landing gear down"
http://images.pistonheads.com/nimg/23085/CSLSmall-L.jpg

#10 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:11 pm
by E600
Thanks for the Batmobile picture. No I am sure it’s the Lindner Nocker car, airborne on a somewhat misty day at the ring. This has become one of the brain itches I can’t scratch, grrrr.

#11 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 am
by Herzeg
The bit that gave it away for me was when the Ferrari went partly on the grass and twitched a fair bit. It then carried on as if it hadn't happened. If that had been real cue one wreacked Ferrari :seeingstars:

John

#12 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:19 am
by malcolm
You're right John; when I re-watched it, there were quite a lot of clues like that! I just didn't spot them first time round - old and naive!

#13 Re: E type Picture

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:11 pm
by Series1 Stu
Not to mention that the marshalls and spectators are completely static too.