Talk about E-Types here

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#141 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by JulianBarratt » Thu May 13, 2021 11:53 am

288gto wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 am
Hi Julian,

You were looking into the fitment issues on the S2 and S3 headlamp chromes last year and said you would post some pics up of them on your S3. I just wondered how you had gone on?

Simon
To update on this one, we have done 3d scans of the bonnet and we have revised profiles for the surrounds completed in CAD so we are now working to find a supplier who will make these for us. Currently, we are not sure that there is going to be a cost effective solution to this but its one thats in the pipeline and i will make a note to report back again in a month.
Its not especially revealing but i have attached some of the scan data that we are working from. As i mentioned, we will look to produce these in unchromed version when we get there.

update - i have just tried to upload the data but the file is too large so its just a screen grab.
Attachments
BD35668.jpg
BD35668.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 22807 times
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#142 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by angelw » Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm

Hello Julian,
One area where I an improvement can be made is in the material used. The original is brass, whereas the reproductions have been made in steel. Brass behaves and is a better material to press. Further, if minor tweaking is required by the end user (there are variations in the area where the surround fit from car to car), brass is more yielding than the steel counterparts.

This also applies to the Eyebrow moulds, where I've found the reproductions in steel to be a very poor fit.

Best regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#143 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by JulianBarratt » Thu May 13, 2021 12:22 pm

angelw wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Hello Julian,
One area where I an improvement can be made is in the material used. The original is brass, whereas the reproductions have been made in steel. Brass behaves and is a better material to press. Further, if minor tweaking is required by the end user (there are variations in the area where the surround fit from car to car), brass is more yielding than the steel counterparts.

This also applies to the Eyebrow moulds, where I've found the reproductions in steel to be a very poor fit.

Best regards,

Bill
Hi Bill,
Thanks for this and brass will be the plan with these.
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heronscourt
Great Britain

#144 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Heronscourt » Thu May 13, 2021 8:02 pm

My current issue is that when I locate the indicator / horn push mechanism to the top of the steering tube I just purchased, attach the cancelling finger to the column and insert it in the tube the column does not protrude from the bottom of the tube sufficiently for me to locate the universal joint. The notched white plastic ring in which the cancelling finger locates extends about 2cm past the top of the tube. I’ve seen a thread showing a tube which appears to be about 2cm shorter than mine but is obviously from a much earlier car. I don’t think you have a tube with the top section 2cm shorter, most other tubes are listed NLA. The solution appears to be to shorten the top of the tube by 2cm approx, relocate the top elastomer bearing thus allowing the column to protrude sufficiently through the bottom of the tube. There will still be space for the indicator shroud and the plate which houses the ignition switch / key. No lock! This seems the only solution unless you have an alternative tube hiding somewhere. Hope you find this interesting.

Alan R
Etype series 1.5 roadster 1968

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heronscourt
Great Britain

#145 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Heronscourt » Fri May 28, 2021 12:58 pm

My latest issue is that the holes in the forked end of the steering tube do not line up with the holes in the lower alloy mounting bracket by around 5mm. Is the solution to put spacers between the upper bracket and dashboard to move the tube backwards to get the holes to line up. There seems to be enough adjustment at the upper and lower UJ pinch bolt slots in the column to allow this solution. Is it a safe solution.
Attachments
A953407E-7891-4E37-8E8C-CBB7329FEB94.jpeg
A953407E-7891-4E37-8E8C-CBB7329FEB94.jpeg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 22525 times
31DCCBBB-28DF-49E2-BE16-D7FCB27981A6.jpeg
31DCCBBB-28DF-49E2-BE16-D7FCB27981A6.jpeg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 22525 times
Alan R

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heronscourt
Great Britain

#146 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Heronscourt » Sun May 30, 2021 7:36 pm

A further thought on the issue of the steering tube and lower bracket bolt holes not lining up. It’s been suggested that the arms of the fork could be re cranked to move the fork holes back to line up with the bracket. This sounds a bit problematic but what about detaching the arms of the fork from the tube and re attaching them 5 mm further back up the tube? This would have the same effect without the risk of damaging the arms whilst adjusting the crank.
Alan R

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#147 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by 265bhp » Sun May 30, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi Alan

Are you sure you have wriggled the splined end of the steering column all the way into the UJ assembly...I say this as I had the same issue myself and found a little perseverance solved the issue..

HTH
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#148 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by 288gto » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 pm

Hi Julian,

I know you have been rather busy lately but I wonder if you or a member of your team could have a glance at this and possibly update me? I haven't heard anything for almost a month now other that a couple of "automated reply" emails. I did try to speak to one of your sales staff but they said you were far too busy to deal with the individual product issues. If that is the case then please accept my sincerest apologies, I will keep emailing the SNG Barratt Customer Service Department.

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... d1673dc4a7
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#149 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by rfs1957 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:37 pm

Fair play to SNGB over this one, they recognised that their 8510 half-shaft bolts were undersized (meaning they're not a tight fit in the half-shaft drive flanges) and asked me to send them some original ones.

They've now had them made to the correct spec.

One small step for man ...............

Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Chris Mark
Great Britain

#150 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Chris Mark » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:24 am

I’d be happy to join this event.
I’m currently restoring series3 OTS and actively contributing to pension funds for messrs Barrett (Robey, Manners etc).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#151 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by angelw » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:50 am

Hello All,
Is there anyone that has their 4.2 Series 1 2+2 dismantled to some degree, or anyone at all, willing to compare the Trafficator assembly with the following pictures and tell me which component pictured it matches? I believe that the Trafficator assembly of a 4.2 Series 1 FHC is the same also.

The first picture is an original part, the second, a new replacement part. You will note that the winged shield in the second picture is further away from the centre line of the Steering Column by dimension "B" than the original part. Dimension "B" for the new part is circa 6mm and Zero for the old, original part.

I have three other 4.2 Series 1 2+2 cars in work for comparison and all are as shown in the first picture. Despite this, I'm being told that the new parts are being made to correct, original drawings. I doubt that I have in my workshop, the only four cars in the world with non standard trafficator assemblies, not made to correct and original drawings. Accordingly, I'd like to know how the Trafficator assembly on other like cars in the world are configured.

The New Trafficator assembly, with the winged shield further out from the centre line of the Steering Column, has the shield foul with the Steering Column Shroud, preventing the attachment of the assembly. The only remedy, apart from dismantling the new part, altering and repainting it, is to make the obround hole in the Shroud larger so that the shield can pass through and sit on the outside of the Shroud. One, this is going to look rubbish and two, I refuse to mutilate an original part to accommodate an After Market part made incorrectly. Decent Restorers try, wherever possible, to preserve original parts, not destroy them.

The issue with altering the new part, is that this is a relatively expensive part and the time to make the alteration and repaint it, considerable. When you tell a client, “this is the price of the new part and by the way, I have to charge you that much again to make it fit”, they would have to think that you’re having a lend of them. Buying this part and then having to alter it to make it work, is tantamount to buying a dog and having to bark for it.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#152 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by angelw » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:11 pm

Hello All,
Just a follow up on my previous Post regarding the Trafficator Switch assembly for the 4.2 Series 1 2+2 E Type.

I've received PMs from members of the JL Forum and in all cases, original trafficator switch assemblies are as shown in the first picture below.

Notwithstanding that I'm told that the assemblies are being made pursuant to correct, original drawings. these assemblies being sold by SNG Barratt are wrong and impossible to fit without mutilating the Steering Column Shroud. Accordingly, if SNG Barratt is being told by the manufacturer that their parts are being made to correct specifications, they are being mislead.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#153 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by mgcjag » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:27 am

Hi Bill.....i remember that you raised this same issue about a year ago and posted it here on the forum.....did you raise it with SNGB......Iv just flaged it up to Julian. ....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dawnpatrol
Great Britain

#154 Re: SNG Barratt User Group- Water Pump O/Haul kit Warning

Post by Dawnpatrol » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:02 pm

Hi all,
Just a brief heads up if you are in the market for the pump overhaul kit SBS7272 (applicable to all 3.4/3.8 engines except earliest XK120's, plus most 4.2 ) from SNG.
Until recently I've been in the fortunate position of having a few NOS bearing assemblies to hand to over haul pumps as needed. These ran out a good while ago so a bought a pair of kits to have in stock some time ago and recently had the need to use one.
Having spent considerable time trying to source a seal and that would suit the 5/8" diameter shaft at the impellor end and avoid a new impeller, but that's another saga.

On setting the running clearance (15thou) at the edge it became clear that the impeller blade angle does not match the pump water chamber bore by a massive amount, i.e. not parallel. This is not good for the pumps performance and the efficiency of your cooling system.
At the inboard edge (closest to the centre) I'd estimate the gap to be 60-70 thou ++, a massive discrepancy.
So you are now stuck, how much will performance be compromised, cavitation is likely?
I've had to continue with it while looking for another source, and will have to pull the pump as soon as I can get a suitable replacement and do the job again.
I've contacted the technical staff at SNG and they say they are aware of it and are awaiting a specimen of a new impeller to check, no forecast as to when this is going to be resolved. No indication of how long they have known about this. The problem is they are continuing to sell these kits knowing they are faulty which I think is very poor behaviour.
So, if you are in the market for a kit, I suggest you shop elsewhere for the foreseeable, but do check the other source for spec compliance as they could be peddling the same poor parts. Alternatively a complete new pump, personally I would be giving that a close inspection as well.
I didn't have that option as the 2 pumps being overhauled are original Alloy ones. Stopped short of doing the second pump for obvious reasons.
I'm drawn to Crosthwaite and Gardiner at the moment as they sell the individual parts and probably have a much better control on quality.

Hope others can avoid the waste of effort.

Michael
Michael
1961 OTS LWE, 1965 OTS, 1966 FHC.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#155 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Gfhug » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:18 pm

Michael, my recent experiences have been with the later C30811 repair kit for the larger water pump on the later 4.2 engines. No instructions for the sequence of fitting the seals/bearings and the impeller casting broke when pressed on to the bearing shaft. It was just too tight to go on the shaft.
Good for them, Barratt’s immediately refunded the cost and I went elsewhere for a complete water pump as they didn’t have them in stock.
But chatting with a friend who had exactly the same experiences two or three years ago and reported to them, yet they still sell the same repair kit. Why??

It would be good to have another meeting of the User Group to talk through some of these issues.
I am so very very grateful for them being there to help us with parts. It just seems a shame when some of these things don’t get sorted out.

Over to you Julian

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic