Talk about E-Types here

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#141 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by JulianBarratt » Thu May 13, 2021 11:53 am

288gto wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 am
Hi Julian,

You were looking into the fitment issues on the S2 and S3 headlamp chromes last year and said you would post some pics up of them on your S3. I just wondered how you had gone on?

Simon
To update on this one, we have done 3d scans of the bonnet and we have revised profiles for the surrounds completed in CAD so we are now working to find a supplier who will make these for us. Currently, we are not sure that there is going to be a cost effective solution to this but its one thats in the pipeline and i will make a note to report back again in a month.
Its not especially revealing but i have attached some of the scan data that we are working from. As i mentioned, we will look to produce these in unchromed version when we get there.

update - i have just tried to upload the data but the file is too large so its just a screen grab.
Attachments
BD35668.jpg
BD35668.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#142 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by angelw » Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm

Hello Julian,
One area where I an improvement can be made is in the material used. The original is brass, whereas the reproductions have been made in steel. Brass behaves and is a better material to press. Further, if minor tweaking is required by the end user (there are variations in the area where the surround fit from car to car), brass is more yielding than the steel counterparts.

This also applies to the Eyebrow moulds, where I've found the reproductions in steel to be a very poor fit.

Best regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#143 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by JulianBarratt » Thu May 13, 2021 12:22 pm

angelw wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Hello Julian,
One area where I an improvement can be made is in the material used. The original is brass, whereas the reproductions have been made in steel. Brass behaves and is a better material to press. Further, if minor tweaking is required by the end user (there are variations in the area where the surround fit from car to car), brass is more yielding than the steel counterparts.

This also applies to the Eyebrow moulds, where I've found the reproductions in steel to be a very poor fit.

Best regards,

Bill
Hi Bill,
Thanks for this and brass will be the plan with these.
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heronscourt
Great Britain

#144 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Heronscourt » Thu May 13, 2021 8:02 pm

My current issue is that when I locate the indicator / horn push mechanism to the top of the steering tube I just purchased, attach the cancelling finger to the column and insert it in the tube the column does not protrude from the bottom of the tube sufficiently for me to locate the universal joint. The notched white plastic ring in which the cancelling finger locates extends about 2cm past the top of the tube. I’ve seen a thread showing a tube which appears to be about 2cm shorter than mine but is obviously from a much earlier car. I don’t think you have a tube with the top section 2cm shorter, most other tubes are listed NLA. The solution appears to be to shorten the top of the tube by 2cm approx, relocate the top elastomer bearing thus allowing the column to protrude sufficiently through the bottom of the tube. There will still be space for the indicator shroud and the plate which houses the ignition switch / key. No lock! This seems the only solution unless you have an alternative tube hiding somewhere. Hope you find this interesting.

Alan R
Etype series 1.5 roadster 1968

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heronscourt
Great Britain

#145 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Heronscourt » Fri May 28, 2021 12:58 pm

My latest issue is that the holes in the forked end of the steering tube do not line up with the holes in the lower alloy mounting bracket by around 5mm. Is the solution to put spacers between the upper bracket and dashboard to move the tube backwards to get the holes to line up. There seems to be enough adjustment at the upper and lower UJ pinch bolt slots in the column to allow this solution. Is it a safe solution.
Attachments
A953407E-7891-4E37-8E8C-CBB7329FEB94.jpeg
A953407E-7891-4E37-8E8C-CBB7329FEB94.jpeg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 5369 times
31DCCBBB-28DF-49E2-BE16-D7FCB27981A6.jpeg
31DCCBBB-28DF-49E2-BE16-D7FCB27981A6.jpeg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 5369 times
Alan R

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heronscourt
Great Britain

#146 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Heronscourt » Sun May 30, 2021 7:36 pm

A further thought on the issue of the steering tube and lower bracket bolt holes not lining up. It’s been suggested that the arms of the fork could be re cranked to move the fork holes back to line up with the bracket. This sounds a bit problematic but what about detaching the arms of the fork from the tube and re attaching them 5 mm further back up the tube? This would have the same effect without the risk of damaging the arms whilst adjusting the crank.
Alan R

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#147 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by 265bhp » Sun May 30, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi Alan

Are you sure you have wriggled the splined end of the steering column all the way into the UJ assembly...I say this as I had the same issue myself and found a little perseverance solved the issue..

HTH
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#148 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by 288gto » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 pm

Hi Julian,

I know you have been rather busy lately but I wonder if you or a member of your team could have a glance at this and possibly update me? I haven't heard anything for almost a month now other that a couple of "automated reply" emails. I did try to speak to one of your sales staff but they said you were far too busy to deal with the individual product issues. If that is the case then please accept my sincerest apologies, I will keep emailing the SNG Barratt Customer Service Department.

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... d1673dc4a7
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic