SNG Barratt User Group

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#1 SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Heuer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Julian and I have been discussing the creation of a User Group to help SNGB understand how their product line can be improved and what new products could be added. To this end I have offered to put together a group of Forum members who would be willing to participate.

Ideally we would want to invite members who are in the process of restoring their car or have recently completed a full restoration themselves. The format of the day would be something like this:

09:45 - Tea, coffee & refreshments
10:15 - Introduction
10:30 - Price/Quality/New Parts
11:30 – Break for tea, coffee, refreshments etc
11:45 – Tour of SNG Barratt’s facilities
12:30 - Lunch
13.15 - Closing Talk/Summary/Q&A
14.15 – Finish

This is an opportunity to constructively influence various aspects of the part supply chain for the benefit of all. There is no opportunity for vendor bashing! Numbers will be limited to about 15 people and you will be expected to actively participate in the discussions. We also need a mix of S1/2/3 owners.

The date we have in mind is Thursday 30th May at Bridgnorth so if you are interested in participating please add your name here.

David Jones
Angus Moss
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Gfhug » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:20 pm

David, I'd be pleased to come along and give constructive comments (i.e. not just have a whinge) as I have both an S2 on the road and a long term project S2. Alternatively as Angus knows my project then I would be happy to pass comments on through him.

Geoff

PS, I think this is a great idea. Well done for getting it under way
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Quattrofrank
Norway

#3 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Quattrofrank » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:24 pm

good idea.
I have ordered a lot of parts and a lot of it is not the quality I expect. However since i`m not local its often more expensive to send back than to throw away. Also its not easy to get back the vat paid when importing the items.

If the goal is to increase the catalouge I would suggest providing more upgrade / tuning parts.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#4 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by cactusman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:03 pm

What an excellent idea. I am neither in the midst of a major restoration and have not done one either so I shall defer to others far better qualified than me but I shall await developments with interest. Best wishes to the participants :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#5 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Durango2k » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:10 pm

Excellent ! I would love to be there, but its too far out.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#6 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by 265bhp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Would like to help as I have already discussed a few comments on products with Julian....problem is it’s a week day...is a Saturday not possible..?
Best
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#7 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Herzeg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:29 pm

I am not a restorer as I use Angus for most of my stuff - I want to know it works properly!

I would be happy to input on the commercial side, rather than the technical. I do have some views on the technical but strictly amateur. Happy to defer to others more wiser but also happy to fill a place if you need a self opinionated consumer :yellow:

The date is fine for me.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#8 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Jeremy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:58 pm

I would be very interested in participating. Bought a lot of stuff from SNGB during my restoration.

David Jones
Angus Moss
Jeremy Bradshaw
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

3edc4rfv
Panama

#9 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by 3edc4rfv » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:20 pm

Would you take input from folks who did NOT have a good experience with some aspect of SNG? In retail it's more important to learn what you're doing wrong than what you're doing right.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#10 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Gfhug » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:47 am

David Jones
Angus Moss
Jeremy Bradshaw
Geoff Hughes
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#11 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Heuer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:28 am

Steve has suggested we compile a list of comments from non-participants which those attending can discuss at the User Group. I think that is a great idea but we will leave it closer to the date to make a list so it is not stale. We agonised over a weekday vs weekend but many of the people at SNGB who might benefit from our insights would not be working hence the weekday slot.

John - you are more than welcome to come along as indeed anyone who thinks they can add positive value.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#12 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by cactusman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm

In respose to 3edc4rfv's post I'd guess what they don't want is just a list of parts that someone things are "rubbish". What would be useful is an example of a part that, for what ever reason, could be improved and some detail regarding what the improvement might be. So things like fitment issues caused by incorrect profiles/curvatures/threads...etc. Parts that seemed fine on fitment but then failed prematurely in use. What was the failure mode? Did it appear to be a one off so possibly a QC issue or was it likely to affect all similar parts so possibly a design issue or even an installation issue so not caused by the supplier at all - more of a user education issue. Maybe even parts that are perfect copies of originals but even the originals were poorly designed.....could the original design be improved on? An example here I take from MG's so nothing to do with E types but MGB rear brake slave cylinders are fixed to and located on the back plate by a spigot and a circlip. I have never met anyone that thinks the design is anything other than a pain in the neck to fit. It would, IMO, be an easy thing to redesign the casting slightly to allow the use of a nut/bolt combination to get rid of the dreadful circlip that usually flies off at least once during installation and disappears across the garage. I would marry any MG supplier that made a rear cylinder that did not use the original design circlip :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#13 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by johnetype » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:34 pm

David Jones
Angus Moss
Jeremy Bradshaw
Geoff Hughes
John Walker
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#14 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Durango2k » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:28 pm

I have a suggestion for the web shop, btw.

It just happened to me that I ordered some spares. Inclund the astonishing amount of 20 x M6 washers. Now, they only had 2 of them in stock it seems, because the system asked me that for another 8 Euros freight I could split the delivery and have ALL the other parts sooner, and the 18 M6 washers, about 1 Euro in total, would then arrive later.

Thats all fine so far, but what I could NOT find in this step was "delete the parts not in stock now, and carry on with what is in stock".

There is no for / after button in this window, so I had to think a bit.

I found a solution- you cannot "cancel" the process, BUT you can click on the shopping trolley icon, taking you back - and then I deleted the 20 lousy washers, and started the checking out again - which went through nicely.

I can of course get the M6 washers locally - but I had to order indicator lenses + gaskets + screws and some bonnet beading spacers anyway.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

3edc4rfv
Panama

#15 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by 3edc4rfv » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 pm

cactusman wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm
In respose to 3edc4rfv's post I'd guess what they don't want is just a list of parts that someone things are "rubbish". What would be useful is an example of a pa.......:
You assume that all I'm going to whine about is lousy parts? Every item I've ever gotten from them was steller, it's the service that sent me off the deep end. I was stunned that they would employ someone so obviously incompetent. All the local Jag owners warned me about him but would I listen?....nooooo. After that episode all the local guys turned to XKs for stuff. It's the same parts but they seem to understand simple shipping instructions and are markedly more organized. Some of the emails I received from SNG became a laughing stock at our biweekly club breakfasts. But I don't care anymore so think what you want.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#16 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by christopher storey » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 am

Oh God, another axe grinder. If you have nothing more useful to contribute, then why bother wasting your time in writing it, and more to the point, my time in reading it? SNGB clearly want to learn from customer experience, and your contributions so far have contributed not one jot to that process

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#17 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by cactusman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:27 am

Some people eh Chris! I'd be happy to attend...hey I have an old friend who lives a mile from SNGB in Bridgnorth ( he has no interest in cars) so I could combine with beer and curry. But while I have bought all sorts of bits from a variety of suppliers....shock absorbers, bushes, fixings, hoses, wiring looms, carpets, brake system bits....to name a few, I have not rebuilt or am in the process of doing a rebuild. I am certain there are positive people on here far better qualified than me and it would be best for them to attend rather than me. I do look forward to hearing about their deliberations though. Best wishes to all who attend :bigrin: :drinkingcheers:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#18 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Series1 Stu » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:19 am

I would like to get involved. Bridgnorth is only an hour away for me and a very pleasant drive too.

I am in the process of restoring mine (very slowly). I have bought lots of parts from Barratts, and others. I also have years of experience in designing, developing and manufacturing parts for many different applications, if not directly automotive.

I am very critical of the quality of aftermarket parts because, in my view, it shouldn't take any more effort to get it right than to turn out sub standard parts that customers then have to spend time making fit.

I've never really had any problems with service but I do have problems with delivery charges, which are often ridiculous and exceed the cost of the parts ordered. This is when you decide to wait and build up an order to spread the cost of delivery. The problem with doing this is it leaves an aspect of the job incomplete for far longer than is necessary. On other projects, where you can order from a wider range of suppliers, I find I can order parts from my phone at low cost and often without delivery charges all while working on the car. This keeps the project moving along.

Unfortunately, Thursdays are a working day for me. I could do a Friday, though.
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nefematic
Germany

#19 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by nefematic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:27 am

What a great plan for initiating such a group. A shame some some have nothing more positive to share. Whilst some are willing to add time and effort to better things, would others not so inclined just refrain from bashing in this thread especially and the forum in general.

Martin
Martin Scherz
Late S2 1970 OTS US LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#20 Re: SNG Barratt User Group

Post by Gfhug » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:00 am

Julian (cactusman) I think you would make a very positive contribution to the day judging by your comments in post 12.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic