Page 1 of 1

#1 My first miles in the E type

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:54 pm
by Classic
I’ve just picked my 69 FHC S2 and returned home after some 400 motorway miles.
My first impressions are VERY GOOD, it is so smoth for a 49 years old, it just glides down the road!
My car has air conditioning so i didnt experience any heat. Looking ahead over that bonnet is so... bloody fantastic. It is also quite comfortable, at least for my size (5.7)
The wheel rim is big and yet delicate, transmits any movement pretty direct to the front wheels. I can get my hands out of it and the car will keep straight ahead
Being originally a USA bound car it has the 3.54 diff and strombergs. 80 miles is 3500 rpm and 90 is 4k, a longer diff would be much better for long touring! As regards power, i didnt miss the triple SUs, it goes good enough for me. It’s done 13 liters per 100 kms, not that bad!
Of course most other drivers will take a good look at the cat, everybody seem to really like it, not a car for shy people!
One annoying thing though is the firmness of the gas pedal, it sored my feet from the pressure I’ve had to make! Is that normal?

All in all, a great first experience. I’m looking forward to drive it on back roads and twisties

#2 Re: My first miles in the E type

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:38 pm
by malcolm
All sounding great! The gas pedal shouldn't be hard like that though. Check the linkages all the way from pedal to carbs.

#3 Re: My first miles in the E type

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:59 pm
by Paul Jorgensen
I have 3 classic cars but the e type is always the one I want to get in first.
Enjoy yours and happy motoring 😁

#4 Re: My first miles in the E type

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 pm
by cactusman
The accelerator is not maybe the lightest ever..as said though, check the linkages and the bush on the bulkhead. A drop of oil may work wonders...enjoy :bigrin:

#5 Re: My first miles in the E type

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:55 pm
by 288gto
cactusman wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 pm
The accelerator is not maybe the lightest ever..as said though, check the linkages and the bush on the bulkhead. A drop of oil may work wonders...enjoy :bigrin:
Or possibly someone has added extra or stronger springs to overcome a sticking linkages somewhere in the system? I know I spent some time getting mine set up correctly.
Glad you are enjoying the car from a fellow S2 owner.

Simon

#6 Re: My first miles in the E type

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 pm
by politeperson
Sounds good.

But it doesn't exist unless you post some pictures.

#7 Re: My first miles in the E type

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:51 pm
by ChrisC
The throttle pedal should actually be pretty light - I ADDED springs to make it a little firmer. The key is to make sure none of the linkages are binding - I would suggest disconnecting one of the main linkage arms on the bulkhead and see if the pedal is still stiff. If it is then its the pedal at fault - if not work your way down the linkages until you find the one that is binding...