Wrong window regulator series 3 2+2 ???

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
flyer295
Great Britain

#1 Wrong window regulator series 3 2+2 ???

Post by flyer295 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55 pm

I purchase a new regulator for the right hand door from Martin Robey's. part No. BD32616.
When I removed the worn original one it was the opposite hand !!!!! Checked with Robey's and they confirmed it was correct. Robey's told me I could try fitting it and still be able to return it (hope they honour this !)
Anyway, I fitted it and yes it worked, sort of !! It went up and down as it should, BUT as soon as I tried to fit the internal door catch I found a BIG problem. The regulator fouled with the remote door catch arm and also it could not be threaded through the arm guide.
Robey's sent me a L Hand door regulator to try. Oh yes, that fitted as well and the remote arm no longer fouled. BUT, when the window is wound up and the glass channel badly fouls the regulator just over half way up. It is fouling one of the pivots just above where the bracket with the 4 threaded studs are. Without butchering it I cannot see how either hand will work.
Has anyone had this experience and how did they overcome it ? I'm sure the part numbers are wrong
Bob
Bob.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#2 Re: Wrong window regulator series 3 2+2 ???

Post by Bob. » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:48 am

Hi Bob
SNGB web site shows enlargable photographs of both LH and RH window regulators.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... aba90a4a4d.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... 77fb002ffb
This may help you in sorting out what Robeys have sent you. Difficult to understand how both LH and RH could be fitted to a RH door.
Hope this helps,
Bob
Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
flyer295
Great Britain

#3 Re: Wrong window regulator series 3 2+2 ???

Post by flyer295 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:10 am

Bob. wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:48 am
Hi Bob
SNGB web site shows enlargable photographs of both LH and RH window regulators.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... aba90a4a4d.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... 77fb002ffb
This may help you in sorting out what Robeys have sent you. Difficult to understand how both LH and RH could be fitted to a RH door.
Hope this helps,
Bob
Hi Bob, (another one)
I assure you they can be used. It means that the quadrant gear is 180 deg out and the solid arm curve is upward instead of downward therefore taking the moving parts higher in the door.
I eventually found the fault. The RH one, BD32616 will fit perfectly BUT the solid arm of the mechanism is so low in the door the remote catch arm interferes with the regulator when it is lowered, that's even if you can get it in and attached at both ends as the solid bar is in the way of the door catch guide.
The LH, BD32617 again fitted perfectly but it hit the bottom glass channel as it passed the mechanism. After much searching, with torch and mirror, and head scratching, I found that the new arms are thicker (and more robust) than the original. This meant that the clearance between glass channel and mechanism became an interference. I touched the grinder on the first pivot rivet and reduced its head height by 2mm. I then marked the channel/arm that it passed and ground a little off of the 2 webs, about another 2mm. Although this may weaken the arm slightly it then gives the 2 parts to clear each other.
I am surprised that nobody has ever had this problem before.

Bob
Bob.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#4 Re: Wrong window regulator series 3 2+2 ???

Post by angelw » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:06 pm

flyer295 Wrote:
The RH one, BD32616 will fit perfectly BUT the solid arm of the mechanism is so low in the door the remote catch arm interferes with the regulator when it is lowered, that's even if you can get it in and attached at both ends as the solid bar is in the way of the door catch guide.
The LH, BD32617 again fitted perfectly but it hit the bottom glass channel as it passed the mechanism. After much searching, with torch and mirror, and head scratching, I found that the new arms are thicker (and more robust) than the original. This meant that the clearance between glass channel and mechanism became an interference. I touched the grinder on the first pivot rivet and reduced its head height by 2mm. I then marked the channel/arm that it passed and ground a little off of the 2 webs, about another 2mm. Although this may weaken the arm slightly it then gives the 2 parts to clear each other.
I am surprised that nobody has ever had this problem before.
Apologies for dragging up an old Thread, but perhaps this information will enable anyone needing to purchase a Window Regulator for a LWB S2 or any S3 car, to purchase the correct part.

Hello Bob,
With regards to BD32616 assembly fitting perfectly (in a RH Door) until the remote catch is fitted, I suspect that the Vibration Damper Bracket and Guide (for the remote catch bar) is missing from your door. With the Vibration Damper Bracket in place, its simply impossible to do. The following picture shows the extent to which the threaded studs of the four threaded stud bracket of a BD32616 Window Regulator, pass through the door shell when attempting to fit it to a RH Door with the Vibration Damping Bracket in place.

This is due to the lower horizontal arm interfering with the Vibration Damping Bracket. The nut in the picture is only engaged by a couple of threads and was there only to hold the bracket in place so I could take a picture as there was quite firm pressure against the interference with the Vibration Damping Bracket to get the engagement that far.

With respect your fitting of the BD32617 to a RH Door, the correct assembly, notwithstanding the LH Part Number, and having interference with the Glass Channel member of the Window Regulator as it passes from Window Up to Window Down position, I suspect that your work around may have made it work, but not for the actual reason for the interference.

The following picture is of a BD32616 (RH Part Number) superimposed on a Left Hand Door so that the correct configuration of the Window Regulator can be seen when in the Window Up position and with no possible interference with the location of the Vibration Damping Bracket. The dimension of the top, horizontal member of all the After Market assemblies I've measured is slightly longer than original equipment and as that member moves from the Up to the Down position it passes the point where it transitions from being above the members fixed to the door shell to below them. At this point, the centre distance of the pivots of the horizontal member of the Window Regulator, that interfaces with the Window Channel, is too long to pass without the moving mechanism distorting and moving sideways.

I have a short video comparing this action of an After Market Part with an Original Equipment assembly, but at the moment I'm unable to attach it for some reason, but I'll make further attempts.

With regards to your comment "I am surprised that nobody has ever had this problem before", everyone trying to fit BD32616 and BD32617 units into RH and LH doors respectively will all have an issue, particularly if the Vibration Damper Bracket is still in place, as in this situation, its simply impossible for the Window Regulator to be installed.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic