Experiences with ceramic coating

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Herblay
Spain

#1 Experiences with ceramic coating

Post by Herblay » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:47 am

My apologies in advance if this matter has been discussed previously, I couldn't find any references within the forum through my search. I'm interested about any experiences, after a full respray, of ceramic coating protection to the car. I'm concluding an extensive restoration of my FHC S1 and protecting the paint is one of the things I'm considering before starting the driving tests. The alternative could be applying a sealant, which seems to be not so trendy nowadays.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts / experiences on the matter
S1 FHC 3.8

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Experiences with ceramic coating

Post by christopher storey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:37 pm

There is a new Meguiars ceramic coat which seems to have been well received, and there are similar products appearing from several manufacturers . The only thing I would say is that with some new paint finishes, 2 pack types in particular , it is wise to leave the paint to harden for several weeks before attempting to treat it in any way

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Pgxxl
Great Britain

#3 Re: Experiences with ceramic coating

Post by Pgxxl » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Yes I would agree. I had my evoque voted a couple of years ago . Its well worth it. You do have to leave the paintwork for a week or two before getting the job done . I will be having my ots done this winter after a external respray . 👍
1972 OTS
Opalescent silver blue
Purchased Oct 2020

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#4 Re: Experiences with ceramic coating

Post by Tony » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:21 pm

I had my e type coated a month or so after a respray. It seems to be quite good and all I do is wash the car down with cold water and dry off. Do not use any polish or shampoo and the shine is as good as new. It is supposed to last a couple of years before being topped up. It cost me £700 as part of a detailing exercise on the body. Not cheap by any means and if you can do it yourself I am not sure. We shall see but ok so far.
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#5 Re: Experiences with ceramic coating

Post by Barry » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:55 pm

Yes, I’ve just had my paintwork “corrected” after seeing swirl marks under special lighting. I have always used Swisswax, but after my car has been treated to a Gtechniq treatment, I won’t use wax again. Gtechniq are supposed to be the top end company who manufacture ceramic coatings. It really is amazing. The car was mopped before the Gtechniq XO treatment was applied. I could have gone with the top Ultra, but I thought I’d see how I got on with this type of finish first. So, all I have to do now is wash the car properly. Shampoo using a grit bucket, and rinse off with deionised water. The quality of my paint and with the ceramic coating is truly concours. Another tip; the detailer said I’d that using a clay bar first is not the way to go. It creates the swirl marks. Total cost for all this over a three day period, including the wire wheels to be specially treated was over £1000.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic