Page 1 of 2

#1 Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:55 pm
by dal2.0litrefrogeye
Just a thought . I know it's not the right thing to do at the moment , take our E Types out for a self isolating drive , and I totally agree with this !
But is anyone actually driving their E to work ?

#2 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:42 am
by 440mop
I have been here in Auckland, lovely empty roads!
Sadly no longer, as the airline industry has been decimated and voluntary redundancy looked the best option, rather than having hours slowly cut down.

#3 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:11 am
by Jonny XKE
I've driven mine to the office a couple of times. We don't often get the good weather we have been having and it cheered me up a bit and hopefully a few others on the way. There is a part of me though that thinks that its not right that I'm enjoying myself whilst others suffer.

#4 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:19 am
by Tom W
I’ve used mine a couple of times when delivering the groceries over to my parents who are isolating due to their age. It does feel slightly guilty though, and I think if I used it exclusively it wouldn’t be right, as it would need many more trips to the petrol station than would be required for the every day car.

#5 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:31 am
by Robbiee
Hi all
I’m an Anaesthetist doing 13hr long day shifts in Critical care and looking after, variably, patients suffering with COVID 19 and also all the other emergencies that happens anyway....interestingly lots of DIY related injuries!!
I drive my etype to work and it cheers people up(also brings me a bit of joy before and after a day in PPE!)
Nothing to beat the empty country roads too
When it comes to filling up ..I only do 12 miles each way so ..not that often.
Robbie

PS I’m not a hero , I’m lucky enough to be doing a job I love and I get a salary and also work with an outstanding bunch of caring professionals (ODPs, nurses etc). The integrated way in which the NHS functions across the country is a massive benefit not to be underestimated.

#6 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:34 am
by politeperson
Well Robbie,
If its good enough for you then its good enough for me.
Thats all the excuse I needed, cheering people up!

#7 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:38 am
by Robbiee
I completely understand why one would feel it was not good to be seen enjoying oneself but at the same time, at times like this we all need to grab a little bit of joy when able. My other colleague has dug out her frogeye and is loving bringing it to work..she says it makes her smile after a long shift as she walks up to it!

#8 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:11 am
by Jonny XKE
Thank you Robbie, thank you for taking the time to reply and thank you for looking after us.

Jon

#9 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:01 am
by Robbiee
👍

#10 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:06 pm
by chrisfell
Now we have another three weeks at least of lock down, mine will be out doing the “essential” shopping run. This is shopping for me and SWMBO, plus neighbours (2 sets of) who are in their seventies and nineties. We are also on call for dispensary runs, whenever they are needed.

#11 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:42 pm
by Mark Gordon
Currently 49 F., not a cloud in the sky here at 9:30. I'm a periodontist and by Virginia governor's order we are restricted to seeing emergency patients only. I have one patient today scheduled in two hours and am seriously considering driving the E with the hood down. Reading this thread is firming up my conviction. And no, I don't feel guilty driving the Jag when everyone is on stay-at-home and social isolation orders. Nonessential businesses are mostly closed and people are out and about only for essential trips like to the grocery and individual exercise. Since I have to go in to see one patient, I can't see what difference it would make which car I drive, my DD or my Adrenaline Rush. AR it is then. :bouncyyellow:

#12 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:20 pm
by basilruler1234
I was supposed to get married on the 27th March, 4 days after Boris said we are all grounded. The Saturday before I'd driven my E-type back from my parents house to Lincolnshire (in preparation as my wedding car) and left the daily driver in Derbyshire for Dad to bring over the following week. Well that was the plan at least. Now stuck with only the E-type and being an essential worker I'm hoping the weather holds as long as possible as I don't fancy walking to work.

#13 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:12 pm
by cactusman
just a note of caution....if you are using you e type....or any other classic....to travel to and from work just check that your classic insurance policy allows it....many don't. Social, domestic and pleasure use is the usual statement in classic policies and would allow travel to supermarkets (domestic necessity :bigrin: ) but would not allow travel to and from business premises or other place of work....certainly mine has a specific clause excluding travel to and from 'work'. If you are stopped by the police to check on why you are out and they find you are not insured they will confiscate the vehicle....admittedly unlikely but theoretically possible and highly likely should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident....even if you are not at fault. Use your classic where possible in these troubled times but do be sure your insurance covers you.... :drinkingcheers:

#14 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:07 am
by Robbiee
Just thought I’d share a different view over the bonnet on the way home after a long shift at the hospital...

Guess the car?
Robbie
Image

#15 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:58 pm
by Jonny XKE
Thats a great pic Robbie. Hope it helped clear the mind a bit.

Jon

#16 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:54 pm
by edriver
Guess the car

MGA?
Enjoy your drives home, Robbie

#17 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:00 pm
by politeperson
Looks a bit like an MGA to me.

#18 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:09 pm
by Robbiee
Yes ...we’ll spotted
1959 1600cc
My first project 15 yrs ago
US car from California, shipped to Australia where it sat gathering spiders, then found and repatriated by Bob West
I bought it in a sorry but intact state
George our little car
Robbie

#19 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:11 pm
by Robbiee
Iris blue

#20 Re: Driving our classic cars at the moment ?

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:14 pm
by politeperson
Very nice.

Just up the road from me I have John Everard, the all round engineer and MGA Twin Cam engine guru.

He is desperate to buy twin cam engines if you ever see one, even though he doesn't have an MGA at the moment!