Upgrade to E type forum

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
david muir
Scotland

#1 Upgrade to E type forum

Post by david muir » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:48 am

Hi,
After the 'downtime & upgrade' to the Forum, my Mac says that the sight is 'not secure'! (both on Safari & Google)..........Is this the case ? what happened?
Thanks, Dave
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Upgrade to E type forum

Post by Gfhug » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:10 am

Dave, I used to see the same message before this recent downtime

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Upgrade to E type forum

Post by Heuer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:18 am

All that happened was the Forum moved to a different server - no changes or upgrades. The 'Not Secure' message appears because the address we use has the HTTP (hypertext transfer protocol) prefix rather than HTTPS. The only difference between the two protocols is that HTTPS uses TLS (SSL) to encrypt normal HTTP requests and responses. As a result, HTTPS is far more secure than HTTP; without HTTPS, any data passed is insecure. This is especially important for sites where sensitive data is passed across the connection, such as e-commerce sites that accept online card payments, or login areas that require users to enter their credentials. For a Forum there is no cause for concern IMHO and the disruption would be enormous, Someone would have to go through every post (123,056 at the moment) and change any links from http to https otherwise they would not work. Plus every member would need to change any of their stored links otherwise they would get 'web site unavailable' messages!

In all honesty I do not think it is worth the time, disruption and risk for little gain.

You can tell your browser to ignore the message. In Chrome:

Step 1. Type chrome://flags in the address bar, then press “Enter“.

Step 2. Scroll down to the “Mark non-secure origins as non-secure” setting and change it to “Disable” to turn off the “Not Secure” warnings. Set it to “Default” enable the warnings.

Step 3. Relaunch the App and Done! You will no longer face the Warning on any web page on the Chrome Browser.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
david muir
Scotland

#4 Re: Upgrade to E type forum

Post by david muir » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks for prompt, satisfying, response David. I did think to myself that it probably didn't matter for the very reasons you say i.e. no card details, addresses etc. but thought I'd ask.
Thanks again, D
1964 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic