Page 1 of 1

#1 Unknown body part / leftover

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:24 pm
by ralphr1780
Putting some order in the storage, found this body part leftover from my S2 restoration.
Could not put trace the function or the part nr.
Can any good fellow help identifying? Thanks!

Image

Image

#2 Re: Unknown body part / leftover

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm
by PeterCrespin
Désolée Ralph, je ne peux pas m'empêcher, mais comme l'a dit un jour un autre Belge plus célèbre que nous:

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe..."

Amicalement

Pierre

#3 Re: Unknown body part / leftover

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:59 pm
by Philk
ralphr1780 wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:24 pm
Putting some order in the storage, found this body part leftover from my S2 restoration.
Could not put trace the function or the part nr.
Can any good fellow help identifying? Thanks!
Not sure if it's the same on a S2, but that looks very similar to the IRS inspection panel at the back of my boot floor in my S1 OTS.

#4 Re: Unknown body part / leftover

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:14 pm
by christopher storey
Phil : no , it's not that , I'm afraid. It would help to know what it's made of

Edit : having read Ralph's reply immediately below this, I'm beginning to wonder whether you are correct after all, Phil. It could be that the turn fasteners are missing ( although the proportions are still too long and narrow to my eye for it to be a rear suspension cover )

#5 Re: Unknown body part / leftover

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:40 pm
by ralphr1780
It is made from pressed steel covered with the cheap black paint used by the body parts manufacturers.
It came from M-Robey or Hutsons with other parts I had ordered almost 30 years ago :oops: , regretfully no sticker left.
First thought it could be for the rear license plate, but it is not as I have the H shaped one.
So, still wondering...

#6 Re: Unknown body part / leftover

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:10 pm
by PeterCrespin
So it's for an S2 convertible but is it a Robey repair panel that would normally be welded in place, not designed to be removable like a hatch cover? I just looked all round my S2 coupe and don't see anything like it. did your car have AC? The shape made me thin of the twin angled radiator fan shroud, but that's all alloy.
I'll be interested if someone IDs it (send photo to Robey?) as I've worked on basically all versions of all series, so it may be a shape I don't recognize because it's part of a bigger panel?