Purchase Help

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Dan219
United States of America

#1 Purchase Help

Post by Dan219 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:54 pm

Fellow Jaguar enthusiasts -- I've been lurking on this forum for a while, trying to educate myself so I can spend my money wisely. I have a small sum I can (finally) spend on the car I've always wanted, but the decision path is way harder than I imagined.
I could use some expert guidance on this XKE I've been keeping an eye on. This car is the series, the color, and overall condition I am looking for: https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/show/DEN/841
There are a few head-scratchers though :scratchheadyellow: :

1) I don't know if it's a matching numbers car (no answer so far to my inquiry). 2) It doesn't come with the Jaguar Heritage Certificate. 3) Funny hosing restoration (see pics). 4) Carbs and air filter modifications (see pics).
I could make an offer today, but there's the proverbial little voice in my ear that is telling me not to. I could really use an expert opinion. Many thanks!

Dan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#2 Re: Purchase Help

Post by Robsan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 pm

this car is on xkedata but only from 2020............. it is inferring it has been restored

http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1E16596

the cars actual finish is a bit odd imho..................... i am not sure how restored the actual bones of the car are ?

look at image 27, data plate. the plate is new I suspect, which is no big sin, but look at the body paint surface where the plate is fixed........... black and a bid corroded ?

Its a series 1.5 and on surface looks nice and shiny, hoses not to everyones taste, but they could be changed back for not too much money

You do need to know about serial numberS :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#3 Re: Purchase Help

Post by bitsobrits » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:38 pm

I'm on my third E-type, and the first two taught me to not buy one unless you (or a trusted person knowledgeable in E-types) inspect it in person.

As to the car for which you provided a link, plenty of photos of the pretty parts, not nearly enough of the potential problem areas on an E. Footwells look like replacements, installed without attention to detail, which would give me concern (lack of detail speaks to the mindset of the installer and quality of the work, IMHO). The AN hoses are hideous, but can be put right for not a lot of money. But what else is not as it should be? IRS looks like it's time for a drop and refresh. Rear brakes appear as if the rear calipers are not fully clamping the discs.

As I'm not an expert on values I can't say if it's worth the asking price. But If I were buying I would assume I would have to spend time and money to get it up to my standards of reliability and safety.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#4 Re: Purchase Help

Post by 64etype » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:41 am

Dan,

I'd recommend that you contact the Rocky Mountain Jaguar Club (a JCNA member club) in Denver. Someone in that club will likely jump right on inspecting this car for you at no charge.

I have a '64 FHC that's a ground up rebuild (it's in the classified section here). So I' have recent experience regarding pitfalls and costs. As you are aware, the subject car is an exterior respray only. The paint looks nice, although the Opalescent silver blue looks little "off"...I think it's the lighting in the building. I'd also want pre-paint photos. The tires look a little "short" compared to the original 185s. Not a biggie, but the speedo might be off a bit. Top doesn't look so hot. Of course there's a hole where the radio was located. Looks like some wear on dash switches. Can't tell if the steering wheel is aftermarket...it looks a little fatter than the original. The underbonnet sheet metal and the frame look a little raggedy....I'd want to look at the inner sills (lift the carpet). The non-standard under bonnet things will cost you a few grand to get right.

I wouldn't place a bid without having some experienced eyes on it first I'd also look at Gateway's seller's contract information. If they're like" Streetside", the consigner's markup is 12.5% above what the seller wants in his/her pocket. Anything above that goes to the consigner. So take a look. It will give you an idea of how much wiggle room there might be in the price. You might look at Haggerty insurance valuation guides as well. assuming no serious rust, I'd say that car is a solid #3 with a fresh paint job.

Feel free to PM me.

Regards, Eric
Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joes66
Great Britain

#5 Re: Purchase Help

Post by Joes66 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am

In my experience there are 4 types of classic cars in general when buying
And I have bought and worked on hundreds

1. Good bodywork and poor mechanicals
2. Good mechanicals and bad/hidden bad bodywork
3. A genuine well restored Good car
4. A genuine well used daily runner thats been well maintained and kept up to standard that may need a few things done

The price of the first 3 conditions above can all be the same which is where people get caught out
I have excluded obvious restoration projects
Get and or pay someone that knows e types to go through any potential car you are thinking of buying including getting it on a ramp to inspect underneath
Any genuine seller will allow this
Ignore anything the owner says and go by what the expert says
Be prepared to travel to get the car you want

Don't buy with your heart, buy with your scepticism
1969 series 2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Purchase Help

Post by christopher storey » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:01 pm

I agree with all that is said above. Just to add a few thoughts

1. It is difficult to be sure, but the colour does not look like authentic opalescent silver blue to me . That is quite a vivid colour : this one has a much too silvery tint to my eye

2. With those 205/65 tyres it will drive like a pig

3. A very curious feature is the 3 eared spinner spanner in the boot - strange

4. If it has been restored, someone surely has photos of the restoration ? Without those, I would be suspicious because as said above, there are far too many cars with shiny new paint covering a multitude of horrors

I think you need to know as much of the history as possible . With it, you then need a knowledgeable examiner to go over it. Without it, I would look elsewhere

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#7 Re: Purchase Help

Post by Robbiee » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:01 am

I would only buy two kinds of etype
1. Needs total restoration
2. Fully restored/sorted by a garage you know and trust

You could buy any etype that may look good BUT I would not be surprised by hidden problems
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#8 Re: Purchase Help

Post by christopher storey » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:08 am

Further inquiry on xkedata shows that this has been up for sale for at least 6 months , and there have been two "failed" auctions where it has received only low top bids - IIRC US dollars 32K and in a second auction 43K, in each case failing to reach reserve . There has to be a reason for this

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hpage66
United States of America

#9 Re: Purchase Help

Post by hpage66 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:44 am

Interesting! I exchanged several messages with those folks while searching. They indicated several time they'd forward copies of maintenance records. Nothing ever showed up. I passed. Beautiful car.

Regards,

Howard
1970 baby blue Series II OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jag4ever
Canada

#10 Re: Purchase Help

Post by Jag4ever » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:34 am

There are lots of recommendations for what ‘color’ to repaint jags! I believe it depends on whether you want a “factory” correct restoration, want the car to be a “timeless beauty”,etc.
If you want to buy something from Ford, etc. They determine what the “most popular” colors have been during a given year etc; and that what’s your choices are.
I recall an article about the famous wooden boat designer/builder Nat.Herrshoff. During the 1930’s people with unlimited money joined the waiting list for him to design & build one of his award winning wooden sailboats.
A millionaire yachtsman,who was accustomed to getting anything he wanted, asked Herrshoff what colors his boat was available in. Herrshoff’s response was “any color you want, however only a damned fool would want a sailboat in any color but WHITE”. The buyer apparently got a white boat.
The paint of the day did not stand up to the hash effect of sunlight reflecting off the water, & white was the only color that did a reasonable job of keeping its color….,, (perhaps because even when white started to breakdown, it only became “chalky white” which was not as noticeable vs.a dark background hull.
My point; who knows what Jaguar might offer today for the E-Type given today’s paint offered by the paint manufacturers ?
My guess is the E-Type would look stunning in virtually any color you chose; unless of course you are going for a factory original look. Even then; “how far can you stray”? Do you need to match the color code on the serial plates or just a “year correct” color.
I will be faced with a similar dilemma shortly. I think I know which selection process I will use; but will continue to look for guidance!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic