2 post v Scissor lift

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
SimonBrown
Great Britain

#1 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by SimonBrown » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 am

Looking to purchase a lift for my home garage. It is 3.8 x 5.5metres with a 2.5 metre ceiling height.
I don’t know whether to go for an Automotech AS7630 scissor lift or an AS230SP short height 2 post.
Portability of the scissor lift appeals, but height from the floor doesn’t. I don’t particularly want to sink it in to the floor.
Any advice to help with my decision would be much appreciated. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
Thank you
Simon Brown
1969 S2 OTS
1998 XK8 Coupe
2008 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Icon
1991 Mini Cooper 1.3i

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#2 Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by politeperson » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm

My vote is a 2 post.

Scissor lift as a complete Nause on an E-type.

I have both!

On a scissor lift, it is very difficult to get the lifting pads in the correct location because the E type is so low, narrow and the distance between the correct lifting points is so long.

Also the exhaust and gearbox is inaccessible as the scissor platform is completely in the way.

The while front of the car hangs over the front of the lift, the balance looks just wrong.

Also they are marketed as potable but they weigh the best part of a tonne and they are not really.

They are cheap and reliable though.

With a 2 post Life becomes a breeze and a bit safer too.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#3 Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:17 pm

Simon

I would recommend a third option-a four post lift. If you couple this with a hydraulic jacking beam then you can do everything a two post lift can do without the dangers.
The jacking beam allows the car to be raised off all four wheels at once-one axle on the beam and the other on axle stands sitting in a suitably robust tray. In my case two L shaped steel cross arms from an electricity pole.
Both sitting between the two runners.
No worries about shifting centres of gravity when removing major items like the engine and gearbox.
In addition you can stack one car above the other if roof height allows.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#4 Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by madjack4 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 pm

With your height restriction in the past i used a two post ramp with a shallow pit dug out between the posts to give you a decent working height works well
Regards
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#5 Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by abowie » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:29 pm

I have a 2 post. For the reasons above I would avoid a scissor lift.

I'm not sure that you have enough roof height to use one though.

You're only going to get the wheels a maximum 1200mm off the ground before the top of the car hits your ceiling.

I suppose that's better than nothing but it really limits your access.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stevejaguar
Great Britain

#6 Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by Stevejaguar » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:44 am

I have a 4 post lift purchased from my cousin when he sold one of his TVRs. Best single purchase ever (except of course for my E type).

Doesn't allow unrestricted access to all areas but so far I have not found any major difficulties.

If you are buying new you can get one custom made to suit your available space. Mine just happened to be the right size.

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by mgcjag » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 am

Have you tried to remove the IRS or engine useing a 4 post lift.....very awkward.....if you have plenty of room at the rear and sides then not too bad but in a standard size garage then its very difficult.........Note that with all these lifts when you want to let the car down from its raised position you first have to lift it a bit to release the locks before you can lower it down.....so take this into account on low ceiling height spaces....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dxke38
Great Britain

#8 Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by dxke38 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:31 pm

I have a scissor lift thats recessed into the floor of my garage. It's ideal for removing the rear axle complete and does have other benefits when working on suspension, brakes etc, but if I were buying now it would definitely be a two post ramp having used a friends to remove engine gearbox unit.
Derek
64 ser 1 fhc, 71 ser 3 2+2. Ser 3 now sold, looking for a new toy to keep Ser 1 company

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#9 Re: 2 post v Scissor lift

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:28 pm

Removing the engine and gearbox using a 4 post lift is very straightforward. You just place a trolley underneath, disconnect everything and raise the car leaving the engine and gearbox on the trolley. Another advantage to this is that the bonnet and radiator can be left in situ.
I haven't removed the IRS yet, but using the jacking beam will raise the car sufficiently off the lift to allow the IRS to be removed-again onto a trolley which can then be rolled along the lift runners and on to the garage floor.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic