Car lift single post

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
garym100
Great Britain

#1 Car lift single post

Post by garym100 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi

I've read quite a few posts on two or four post lifts but has anyone used a single post (portable) car lift with an E Type ?

Various reasons why a two post and four post are not ideal for my garage but mainly due to low eaves and would need to manoeuvre car to get in centre and take advantage of height.

Gary

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Car lift single post

Post by christopher storey » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:06 pm

The problem with an E is that balance is critical in that the two heaviest parts of it i.e. engine/gearbox and rear suspension are at opposite ends of the car, and if either is removed, the centre of gravity moves markedly away from the unit which has been removed . Thus a single post lift , which is relatively limited in the way in which it can support the overall weight of the car i.e the arms cannot be as far apart as with other lifts, is at a definite disadvantage for anything other than brake/suspension work

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

madjack4
Great Britain

#3 Re: Car lift single post

Post by madjack4 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:11 pm

Hi i had a OMCN single post lift in my workshop a few years ago very handy for front wheel drive cars ,but on a etype carnt see it being very good as all centre of car is covered by the cross beam. The other problem is they are very unstable,if you are swinging on anything that is tight the car moves all over the place took it out in end and put another two post ramp in.I now have 2 two post ramps and a 4 post ramp i hardly ever use 4 post everything gets in way ok for inspections but not for repairs
Regards
Rob 1972 s3 roadster
Aston Martin DB9 Volante

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#4 Re: Car lift single post

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 am

I've just posted on this subject on another thread. I see you've got height restrictions but at the end of the day a four post lift doesn't require any more height than any other lift in order to operate.
There's a common misconception that there's a limit to what you can do, which is not the case.
If you use it in conjunction with a hydraulic jacking beam-most have this option as an extra cost-removing the engine and gearbox becomes very straightforward. You just place a trolley underneath, disconnect all the ancillaries and raise the car leaving the engine and gearbox on the trolley. Other advantages are having no worries about shifting centres of gravity and the bonnet and radiator can be left in situ.
The beam also acts as a very stable support facility-much more so than standard axle stands. It's effectively a scissor lift operating across the width of the car.
I haven't removed the IRS yet, but using the jacking beam will raise the car sufficiently off the lift to allow the IRS to be removed-again onto a trolley which can then be rolled along the lift runners and on to the garage floor.
I have also constructed an axle stand tray out of electricity pole steel cross arms which sits between the runners and this in conjunction with the jacking beam allows the car to be completely raised off all four wheels and still be raised up and down as required.
As Christopher has pointed out any other lift has serious centre of gravity issues which the 4 post lift avoids.
I'm lucky enough to have enough headroom to allow for car "stacking" as well which increasses my storage from two to three cars.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
garym100
Great Britain

#5 Re: Car lift single post

Post by garym100 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks for the responses. Thought there must be a few good reasons why a single post lift wasn't a good option.

Will go back through the various 2 & 4 post comments and suspect I'll play safe and opt for 4 post.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#6 Re: Car lift single post

Post by abowie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:17 pm

Your best choice is for a 2 poster. If you look in garages, this is what they use.

A single post hoist just looks inherently unstable and personally I'd never buy one simply because of that.

A 4 poster is a better solution for storage, and if fitted with castors is more portable, but a 2 poster works better for access for actual mechanical work.

I've read Alan's comments above and I see where he's coming from but a 4 post hoist has limitations in regard to access. Essentially all you're doing is lifting the car up on its wheels. You still can't work on the suspension without using a cross beam and you will be limited for access in comparison to a 2 poster. There's also the issue of different widths of cars requiring you to change track on the hoist. Not a major issue, but another thing to consider.

Height requirements depend on the actual dimensions of the hoist and not post number per se.

So while it's possible to do all the jobs you can on a 2 poster, the access isn't as good. I've used both, 2 post is better.

So if your primary use will be storage buy a 4 poster. If you want the hoist so you can work on cars, get a 2 poster.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#7 Re: Car lift single post

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:22 pm

garym100 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:40 pm

I've read quite a few posts on two or four post lifts but has anyone used a single post (portable) car lift with an E Type ?

Various reasons why a two post and four post are not ideal for my garage but mainly due to low eaves and would need to manoeuvre car to get in centre and take advantage of height.
Hi Gary
Search for Les Halls, an ex-pat who posts on the jag-lovers.com E-Type forum. He has a low garage and uses a one post for his 2+2.

Actually, I just realised I have his email jagaround ‘at’ gmail dot com. I bought his previous KwikLift from him.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#8 Re: Car lift single post

Post by Gfhug » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:44 pm

I’d quite like what could be called a double single post. Two posts against one wall so no post in the way in the middle of the garage. One at the front of the car one at the rear.
Ok, it’ll mean no access to one side of the car whilst raised, but it’s for working underneath the car.

Just my thoughts :shrug:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phoenix
Great Britain

#9 Re: Car lift single post

Post by phoenix » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:35 pm

A friend on mine has a single post ramp in his workshop (among 4 more) it is a single hydraulic ram in the centre . Its about 10 inches in diameter and lifts to usual height. They would probably be frowned upon now but its great you can spin a car round on it with one finger . The drive on platform is also sunk to floor height when down. I would not like to have to dig the hole for the ram.
S1 4.2 RHD Bryan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#10 Re: Car lift single post

Post by tim wood » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:11 pm

My heavens, this reminds me of a very unpleasant experience many years ago.

I had a car on one of those single post hydraulic lifts. Lowered the lift by reducing the pressure using the wall mounted controls, started to reverse the car off the ramps. As the weight reduced sufficient pressure remained in the centre ram to raise the front of the car!!!

With the front wheels about 18 inches above ground I jumped from the drivers seat and fully opened the “down” valve. I was frightened that the vehicle was completely tip over.

As you say these wouldnt pass any safe use today.

Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
garym100
Great Britain

#11 Re: Car lift single post

Post by garym100 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:04 pm

Every time I think I've landed on 1, 2 or 4 post there is another consideration. A friend who is a classic car mechanic mentioned that a two post on an e-type has an issue with the lift points at the rear and the rubbers get sucked out. Sounds like owners on this forum that have used a 2 post haven't experienced this issue, or it's not a major problem. He also mentioned that with a 4 post, like previous posts in this forum, with the right equipment you can pretty much do everything you can with a 2 post. I'm now reconsidering a 4 post and while it may take more time to use and be less convenient than a 2 post but for a novice like me who only wants to use occasionally and use as a hobby i.e. not really time precious, maybe this would be the best option. Anyway, new garage is almost finished so need to make a decision even if it means flipping a coin.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#12 Re: Car lift single post

Post by Tony » Sat May 01, 2021 10:30 pm

I have a 4 post lift and the pro and cons when doing work on the car can be argued either way. However for day to day use such as cleaning the car or just carrying out servicing,inspection etc, the 4 post lift is great with no worries about positioning the arms on correctly . For storage of another car below the 4 post lift is ideal.
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic