Many thanks to Angus

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Many thanks to Angus

Post by mach2andy » Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm

Many thanks to Angus and everyone at Moss Jaguar for being the salvation of my car. Some may recall that the first time I started my fully overhauled VSE engine, it failed. Weak cylinder head stud thread in the bottom of the block. Engine out again. Got very lucky with a local engine rebuilder who had done this thread repair before. Engine back in again. Start the engine again, and as the engine fires, there is a slight rattle from what appears to be the front of the engine, but the rattle is not there once the engine is running. Retighten the top chain. Very slight rattle as before. Drive the car 500 metres and the brand new clutch [fitted by VSE] fails. Looking through the bell housing hole, the boss in the centre of the diaphragm is obviously loose. I'm starting to despise the car which has become like the Sword of Damocles and I cannot stomach replacing the clutch. Despite being extremely busy, Angus agrees to take the car, and sure enough, once the engine is out again, the boss in the centre of the diaphragm has in fact become completely detached. Another really good spot by Angus was that the oil pressure sender was 90% held in place in the filter head with loctite as the thread was virtually stripped. Again, VSE's work !! Anyway, I collected the car yesterday and drove it 100 miles home and it is quite sublime to drive, with the engine running silky smooth thanks to Angus's tuning. But keeping it below 2500 RPM for the next 400 miles? Hmmm! And lo and behold, the rattle has gone. Obviously the noise was caused by the loose boss clattering just as the engine fired. As well as the clutch and engine tuning, and a number of other bits and pieces, it was great to have my nut and bolt restoration thoroughly scrutinised by a heavyweight Moss inspection. But why have Angus and Murray really ascended to legendary status? Because they fitted my brand new gutter trims for me. No seriously, what a great bunch carrying out fastidious work. And I can thoroughly recommend the Victoria sponge!

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

H7OB
Great Britain

#2 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by H7OB » Thu May 13, 2021 4:15 pm

Absolutely brilliant Andy! Congratulations and well deserved. I do like a happy ending, but I’m assuming so do you as you took it to Angus! Great stuff all round. :thumbsup:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by Gfhug » Thu May 13, 2021 4:53 pm

Victoria sponge? You got cake! I shall use this evidence against Angus next time I visit :lol:

Andy, so pleased to hear you've got your car on the road and all seems to be sorted. What a grin you must have on your face. Was that your first drive of it? Aren't they lovely cars and who cares if anyone else noticed you, you're the one that counts. :bouncyyellow:

Well done on your restoration and for finding out that Angus is a good guy, same goes for Murray.

Now get some miles on it and add your name to the 14th August gathering in Letchworth.

ATB

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#4 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by max-it-out » Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 pm

The exhaust manifolds look good - are they ceramic coated ?
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#5 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by PeterCrespin » Thu May 13, 2021 9:43 pm

mach2andy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm
Not to be picky, but if you take it in for a voluntary MoT, be prepared for an advisory "Some play in offside front upper wishbone and steering ball joints."

Just sayin'... :wink:
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#6 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by mach2andy » Fri May 14, 2021 12:06 pm

Hi Mark
The exhaust manifolds are, I believe, originals. They were on the car when I bought it, and are in remarkably good original condition. Or to be more precise they were in one of the many boxes of bits that came with the car including a pair of NOS manifolds the I eventually identified as S Type which I sold to a guy in Sweden.

Geoff
I'm going to come up on the 14th with my pal Steve who has a '69 DHC. A 2 man convoy I guess?
"Breaker one nine, this heres the duck" if you remember that?

The prospect of having my homework marked by Professor Moss was mildly daunting I have to say, but although I had my magazine ready to slip down into my trousers, I wasn't called into his office fortunately! He was very complementary actually and really liked the colour. It's a 2017 Jaguar colour Odyssey Red Metallic applied by a very talented guy called Blake Oakley.
I'd forgotten to refit the rear hub grease nipples, and I'd incorrectly reassembled the gear stick. And I hadn't quite fitted the bonnet locating pin rubber bumpers correctly. However, one howler did become apparent when I filled the car up prior to heading home. A very pervasive smell of petrol at the rear of the car. I had put a thin veneer of Hylomar on the fuel pick up cork gasket, and it hadn't sealed properly. Half an hour later having first drained 15 ltrs of petrol, young Moss and Murray had fixed the problem. A new gasket was fitted having roughed up the tank and pick up mating surfaces. This helps prevent the gasket from migrating on tightening apparently, and the gasket must be fitted dry. Also shiny new screws with PTFE tape on the threads and copper washers.
The water temp was checked with their infrared thermometer at operating temp and found to be correct, but the needle sits to the right when cruising which I'd rather not see. The gauge can be adjusted I think?
I plan to put a lot of miles on it as soon as possible, but it looks like I may have to wait for some more clement weather.
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

markc555
Great Britain

#7 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by markc555 » Sat May 15, 2021 1:09 pm

Car looks great Andy 8-)

Odyssey Red Metallic you say. Looks very similar to mine which I have been told is Opalescent Maroon. Pics on can be decieving so it'll be interesting to compare at Angus' on 14th August :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mark
Attachments
IMG_8291.JPG
IMG_8291.JPG (246.76 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
1969 S2 FHC (Opalescent Maroon) 1R26120

"The older I get, the faster I was"

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#8 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by mach2andy » Sun May 16, 2021 10:15 am

Hi Mark
Likewise your jam jar. Odyssey Red Metallic was not a 1970 colour. I spotted it on a 2017 XE. Mine was Carmen Red when I bought it, and originally Regency Red [and please nobody take offence here] but I felt the car was much better suited to a metallic colour. As you say, the comparison will be interesting.
See you on the 14th.
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#9 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by Barry » Tue May 18, 2021 7:39 am

So pleased you got your car sorted by Angus. That man certainly knows what he is doing! One part of your story has made me ask if you went back to VSE explaining what had happened, and how they were responsible? More particularly what was their reaction? Enjoy your beautiful car, I know you will!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by mgcjag » Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 am

Hi Barry...VSE are no more......they packed up a couple of years ago...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#11 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by Barry » Tue May 18, 2021 8:07 am

Oh.....excuse my ignorance! Thanks for letting me know.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#12 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by mach2andy » Tue May 18, 2021 11:02 am

Hi Barry
I found it totally incomprehensible how a firm as experienced as VSE could have failed to identify the weak head stud thread whilst the engine was stripped in their workshop particularly as is a well known weakness in these 4.2 ltr engines. And I think I'm right in saying that they had overhauled c.10,000 of them by the time they shut up shop. 2 years elapsed between collecting the engine and starting it, so I think I did quite well to negotiate the settlement with them that I did. Our negotiations got off to a stuttering start, but in the end they were quite amenable. I haven't even contemplated contacting them about the clutch. I think I'd simply be pissing into the wind! Angus tells me that it has become known that a bad batch of clutches did find their way to the market, and I guess I got one of them.
Anyway, thanks to Angus my 60's icon love affair is back on again.
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MiguelsCar
United States of America

#13 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by MiguelsCar » Wed May 19, 2021 3:39 am

markc555 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 1:09 pm
Car looks great Andy 8-)

Odyssey Red Metallic you say. Looks very similar to mine which I have been told is Opalescent Maroon. Pics on can be decieving so it'll be interesting to compare at Angus' on 14th August :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mark
It looks well-maintained. It's been a while since I've since this classic car.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#14 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by mach2andy » Wed May 19, 2021 8:44 am

I thought I'd just post a couple of pics of the clutch cover from my car that failed after less than a mile. The manufacturer appears to be AP. I sincerely hope that nobody else reading this has had a similar failure, but if they have perhaps contact me?

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#15 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by AshM » Sun May 23, 2021 6:59 pm

Delighted it all ended well Andy. I enjoyed following your restoration project.

Mine is in Angus’s for some work before E60. He mentioned he had been working on yours.

That first call, 24 hours after drop off, when your phone lights up with “MOSS JAGUAR” makes your stomach churn. But was largely positive. 😅

Some incredible attention to detail of what they check so confident my S2 is in the safest of hands.

It will purr into Shelsley Walsh I am sure.

Cheers
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisallen01
Great Britain

#16 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by chrisallen01 » Thu May 27, 2021 7:34 pm

Hi Guys,

I have an AP clutch cover in storage awaiting the arrival of a new 5 speed box which looks exactly the same as the pictures above, I have some numbers stenciled on the cover as follows;
M49A40,
09L7E05000,
in an AP box identified as CA4562 240mm,

Please tell me this is not the same batch of cover that failed as above?
Chris
69 S2 FHC OEW P1R27068
Oxford UK

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#17 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by mgcjag » Thu May 27, 2021 8:09 pm

Chris....i would call the manufacturer...tech support and see if they can help......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisallen01
Great Britain

#18 Re: Many thanks to Angus

Post by chrisallen01 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:20 pm

Good point Steve, I'll ask.