Classic British Cars BBC4

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#1 Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Gfhug » Mon May 17, 2021 4:34 pm

BBC4 Monday 17 May 21:00 Classic British Cars from Coventry including Jaguar.
FYI

Geoff (please don’t blame messenger if it’s of dubious quality :wink: )
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

H7OB
Great Britain

#2 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by H7OB » Mon May 17, 2021 10:06 pm

Cheers Geoff, I enjoyed that!
The Jaguars really stood out, particularly the Es, but we should be used to that I guess! :thumbsup:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Gfhug » Tue May 18, 2021 7:44 am

I was very surprised at the clip they used of an E with a roof rack, it looked like a Jaguar promotional film.

But interesting to see, including Norman Dewis, as well as all the other people and companies.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#4 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Jeremy » Fri May 21, 2021 6:47 pm

I enjoyed it...well researched and put together, I thought.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#5 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Durango2k » Sat May 22, 2021 5:34 am

Hm, available online for non - Britons ? Bbc iplayer say „uk mainland only“…?

Would love to watch as I also have an Imp based kit…

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Gfhug » Sat May 22, 2021 7:56 am

Carsten, because the BBC is funded by a licence fee we pay in Britain they operate their online player to viewers in Britain only. Even as a licence fee payer if we tried to access it from Germany it would be denied. Sorry.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#7 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Kember17 » Sat May 22, 2021 8:07 am

Carsten

As a part time resident of Italy, I am able to say with certain knowledge that it is possible to obtain a VPN account with someone like Nord that allows subscribers to spoof the BBC iPlayer and other media players’ security into believing that the subscriber is within the UK, similarly for geo-protected Netflix or Hulu etc from elsewhere. The annual fee is not unreasonable.

VPN, of course, has many other perfectly legitimate uses as well.

Peter
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

militateormitigate?
Great Britain

#8 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by militateormitigate? » Sat May 22, 2021 12:43 pm

Kember17 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:07 am
Carsten

As a part time resident of Italy, I am able to say with certain knowledge that it is possible to obtain a VPN account with someone like Nord that allows subscribers to spoof the BBC iPlayer and other media players’ security into believing that the subscriber is within the UK, similarly for geo-protected Netflix or Hulu etc from elsewhere. The annual fee is not unreasonable.

VPN, of course, has many other perfectly legitimate uses as well.

Peter
:yeahthat: Nord VPN in Spain.

Alun
1969 S2 coupé, manual, Dark Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

edriver
Germany

#9 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by edriver » Sun May 23, 2021 7:29 am

Too bad... :thumbdown:
The BBC iPlayer works only for someone with a TV licence. Even with VPN, only residents of the UK will be able to view BBC TV content abroad.

quote:
You need to be covered by a licence to watch or download almost all BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer. At the moment, the only exception is watching S4C TV on demand. There may be other exceptions in the future.
Remember, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record any live TV programmes on any channel, no matter what device you use.

A TV Licence costs £159 for colour TV, and £53.50 for black and white.
Klaus
1963 FHC 889633, 1979 Porsche 928, 1991 Mazda MX-5

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#10 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Kember17 » Sun May 23, 2021 8:15 am

We’re veering off topic so this is my last contribution on the topic.

Those are very carefully drafted words but they only have force in UK territory. I’m sure we’re all law-abiding folk here but the Brits don’t usually do extra-territorial application of our laws for anything much below murder or war crimes.

For the avoidance of doubt, I do have a valid UK TV licence and I don’t wish to encourage licence evasion where the law is in force but it might be worth noting that the iPlayer rules only apply to the UK and even there policing relies on the honesty of the user.

Practically speaking, AIUI there is no way that the BBC can tie a licence to a specific IP address. Even if a user is challenged with a demand for a postcode, any valid one in the area where the VPN emerges en clair will do.

P

EDIT - to be sure of success it is better to pay a bit more for a unique IP address rather than sharing it with other subscribers; as Heuer suggests, the BBC and others end up spotting these quite quickly. It does incidentally seem astonishingly arrogant of the BBC and others effectively to prevent subscribers from adopting perfectly valid, and often necessary, security measures as a condition of providing a public good, but that’s for another thread.
Last edited by Kember17 on Sun May 23, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#11 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Heuer » Sun May 23, 2021 11:18 am

Just tried accessing iPlayer via VPN (IPVanish) from 'Spain' and the BBC detects the VPN and will not allow connection; ditto with UK VPN IP address. Same with Amazon Prime. I am an Prime subscriber so do not use my VPN for that and as we 'defunded the BBC' last year and cancelled our licence we do not watch any live TV or iPlayer catchup. Quite legal to watch ITV, C5 and C4 on catchup without a licence but have never bothered. With Amazon, Netflix, Disney+ and YouTube there is more than enough content to keep us amused.

All VPN providers use known IP addreses so are easily blocked by content providers. The days of the internet wild west are long gone!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#12 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by MarekH » Sun May 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Off topic.

That's all very interesting Klaus.

Does that mean that the purchase of a b&w licence will allow one to watch any BBC programme via a computer? To my knowledge, no computer capable of displaying iplayer will have a monochrome graphics card, so it suggests one can comfortably watch in colour without having to pay the premium for the color licence. If the relevant wording is "valid TV licence" rather than "valid colour TV licence", then the BBC have missed a trick.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#13 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Heuer » Sun May 23, 2021 5:40 pm

MarekH wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:55 pm
Does that mean that the purchase of a b&w licence will allow one to watch any BBC programme via a computer? To my knowledge, no computer capable of displaying iplayer will have a monochrome graphics card, so it suggests one can comfortably watch in colour without having to pay the premium for the color licence. If the relevant wording is "valid TV licence" rather than "valid colour TV licence", then the BBC have missed a trick.
A colour licence refers to any device capable of displaying a colour image. There was the old trick of simply turning the colour control to minimum to give you b&w but Auntie got pretty difficult about that one.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#14 Re: Classic British Cars BBC4

Post by Durango2k » Wed May 26, 2021 8:48 pm

I have now seen it. And I liked it (though the term „rubbish“ used on the Imp, hm, ok, maybe).

And it motivated me to go on sanding my bonnet / due to Covid the painter found some time helping me out, so I am trying to really get it done.

Oh and l‘ll write another mail to Pilkington where the heck my newly made windshield is :-)

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic