Page 1 of 1
#1 Getting 20/50 oil in europe
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 am
by mgman
I Just wanted to get an opinion. Seem a long time ago now but we took the E type down to southern Spain in 2019. For the journey I took 2 Gallons of oil as I was unsure of whether it would be obtainable.
Over 2500 miles the car used about 6 quarts, not dripping or burning it just seems to disappear. I didn't really look for oil whilst away, but I did see some at an Intermarche. If we ever get to travel again I wonder if anyone has any advice (other than do the same again)
#2 Re: Getting 20/50 oil in europe
Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:46 pm
by malcolm
I'd say do the same again! You can get 20/50 in Europe, but I can never seem to find mineral oil, just semi synthetic. Some say semi is fine, but I try and stick with the mineral
6 quarts in 2500 miles isn't totally unreasonable
#3 Re: Getting 20/50 oil in europe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:26 am
by mgman
After recent brief sortie to France (taking my own spare 20/50 top-ups) The only mineral multi-grade in the Super-U was 10 / 40. Although my searches were hardly exhaustive.
#4 Re: Getting 20/50 oil in europe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:12 pm
by AussieEtype
I wish you guys would talk metric - the conversion tables are working overtime.
I was 18 when Australia went from imperial to metric so grew up on pounds shillings and pence but 50 years later I have forgotten the old ways and only think metric.
So rounding out 6 quarts (UK) is about 6.8litres and 2500miles is 4000km - wow that is a bit of oil, I can understand why you want 50 wt and with that oil usage I would definitely stay with good old mineral and stay away from anything synthetic, semi or not.
So I take it from the original question that mineral oil is hard to find in Europe where here you can get it anywhere.
Garry
#5 Re: Getting 20/50 oil in europe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:50 pm
by malcolm
Easy in the UK, not so much in France and Spain
#6 Re: Getting 20/50 oil in europe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:43 pm
by chrisfell
“ Some say semi is fine”
I do. I’ve been using 20W50 and 20W60 semi-synth for tens of thousands of miles. It is based on mineral oil, just better, it lasts longer, takes more punishment before it deteriorates. I buy it in 20litre drums.
#7 Re: Getting 20/50 oil in europe
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:01 pm
by Heuer
Any oil will do to get you out of a problem. I have been running semi synthetic and pure synthetic for years and over 50k miles without a problem. Can't understand why people are fixated on mineral oil when there are better modern options. If it is sloppy it will work!
#8 Re: Getting 20/50 oil in europe
Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:56 pm
by phoenix
Even in this country I ordered from amazon it was easy .