Model Year Production Dates

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
BKC-USA
United States of America

#1 Model Year Production Dates

Post by BKC-USA » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:44 am

My new xke was manufactured November 13, 1969, and was sold as a 1969. The title says 1970. Which is correct?

While I’m nostalgic for the 60’s I’d rather tell those that ask the correct model year.

Thanks in advance.
Brian C.
Asbury Park, NJ USA
1969 Jaguar Series II OTS
Pale Primrose Yellow
85k Miles

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#2 Re: Model Year Production Dates

Post by Philk » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:06 am

For reasons I have not been able to fathom, USA title docs often reflect the year after the car was actually manufactured (as their title year). In terms of your car's specification, what really matters is the "Date of Manufacture" as noted on Jaguar's Build Ledger and (which appears on the Heritage Certificates)
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
BKC-USA
United States of America

#3 Re: Model Year Production Dates

Post by BKC-USA » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:26 am

Well said Phil. Thank you for the response.

It ought to be a hoot debating this with our Motor Vehicle Commission when I insist that they correct the title.
Brian C.
Asbury Park, NJ USA
1969 Jaguar Series II OTS
Pale Primrose Yellow
85k Miles

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#4 Re: Model Year Production Dates

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:40 pm

In the US they go by the spec of the car, not the date it was made or first registered. Nothing wrong with that in principle if they get it consistently correct.

Typically, in the UK the next year's models start being built after the summer holidays when they've had a chance to prepare. So August/September 1969 cars would be titled 1970 in the US (the UK mostly only has 'titles' for real estate and stocks & shares. The V5C says nothing about ownership).

Which is not to say the system is perfect. My April 66 built 2+2 is titled as a1967. Even though there were gaps between manufacture, despatch and first sale dates, it was clearly a '66 spec car . Which is not to say it is any different to a '67 because AFAIK e and Jaguar noted changes by VIN or other relevant serial number at that stage, not date of manufacture.

Later on things got a bit more specific, especially for major changes. So for example although I've had three 1994 built/registered X300 UK saloons, with 94.5 regarded as the official 'changeover' time, the same models are only ever referred to in the US as 95MY onwards.

Rather than open up a potential can of worms, you might want to think why bother?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic