Should I have to pay to return an item?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Should I have to pay to return an item?

Post by mach2andy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:17 pm

My speedo recently quit. Oddometer working fine, but no needle action. I searched on various forums and found one firm that were highly recommended. The speedo was returned to me, and I fitted it loosely in the car. Still no needle action!! Talked for some time with the firm who were very helpful, and they suggested that I put a small screwdriver in the drive and turn it anticlockwise which I did. Still nothing. After maybe half a dozen tries the needle burst into life. I'm not really happy about this as it seems to me that there is still an intermittent fault here. The firm have freely offered to take another look, but when I mentioned the cost of returning the item, they said that was down to me which frankly doesn't seem right to me. Any thoughts??

ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Should I have to pay to return an item?

Post by Heuer » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:22 pm

The needle runs in a phosphor bearing and can stick if not used. Try taking the car for a run as once it springs to life any sticking tends not to return as it beds in. Alternatively attack an electric drill to the end of the speedo cable and run it a few times at speed.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#3 Re: Should I have to pay to return an item?

Post by mach2andy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:24 pm

Thanks David
The overhauler mentioned that they have occasionally found that a tiny piece of swarf stuck to the magnet will prevent the needle from moving. If I find that the needle moves correctly by turning the mechanism with a screwdriver or drill over the next few days, I will probably put the instrument loosely back in the car a drive it for a while and see what happens.
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Should I have to pay to return an item?

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:43 pm

Andy...if you use a drill then it needs to run in reverse....but check first....running it the wrong way will damage it I think. ......as for return postage i suppose it depends on the companies returns policy......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) & Building a C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic