The Yoof! Efi Conversion. These Guys will Go Far.

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#1 The Yoof! Efi Conversion. These Guys will Go Far.

Post by politeperson » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:43 pm

Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#2 Re: The Yoof! Efi Conversion. These Guys will Go Far.

Post by 1954Etype » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:03 pm

I asked them what throttle bodies they used and they said triple SUs!
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

timhum
Great Britain

#3 Re: The Yoof! Efi Conversion. These Guys will Go Far.

Post by timhum » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:25 pm

I have a Triumph TR3 running on Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies which resemble a Weber body.

https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bod ... itage-dcoe

Jenvey were considering producing their conversion with look a like SU bodies but as far as I'm aware haven't progressed that yet. These guys seem to have taken that route.

The TR with some head, cam and exhaust work together with 89mm diameter liner conversion, up from 86mm, showed 137.5 bhp on the rolling road. Drivability is amazing compared with the standard set-up.

Tim
1965 S1 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#4 Re: The Yoof! Efi Conversion. These Guys will Go Far.

Post by DWW » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:31 am

Personally I love my 3 SU's, in my opinion they are an important component in dictating the characteristics of the XK motor in its fueling, when set correctly, and the way the e-type drives and behaves on the road. A perfect syncro'ed five speed box or a modified diff could probably be the only other changes/improvements to the driving experience if so desired.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#5 Re: The Yoof! Efi Conversion. These Guys will Go Far.

Post by chrisfell » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:42 am

I don’t know what happened to the project but Burlen had a test car(Mk 2 IIRC) with SU bodies hiding a fuel injection setup.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
politeperson
Great Britain

#6 Re: The Yoof! Efi Conversion. These Guys will Go Far.

Post by politeperson » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:09 pm

My guess is that they have simply drilled injectors into the manifold from underneath. Its nice to use what you already own.

The SU pistons/needles, float chambers etc have just been disabled so it still looks nice externally.

A throttle position sensor has been attached to the end throttle spindle.

Why not?

I guess if you were going to reverse it, you would just plug up the injector holes at the same time you rebuilt the carbs with a new kit.

3 pairs of 45mm Jenvey throttle bodies are about £1200 the, last time I looked and a Rob Beere, Weber/Mangoletsi suitable manifold around £1,000. So you have already saved quite alot anyway. A set of new Weber lookalike Heritage Throttle Bodies is around £3,500. This might be even better looks wise to many.

The ITG cone filter they are using is around £80 and is very good. I guess the alterations to the air box mean you would need a new air box should you wish to go back to carbs.

Blanking off the distributor costs nothing.

You just need a trigger wheel, £35, 6 injectors from something like a Mini Cooper S, a fuel rail, 50psi Fuel line and regulator, a high pressure fuel pump, ECU and generic 6 cylinder loom. Emerald can supply that lot it is what all cars have been using for the last 20 years, so its pretty cheap and reliable.

So you would still be looking at around £2,500 worth of to finish the job off, that would mainly be the ECU cost I would think.

Well worth getting the final assembly set up on a proper rolling road, so thats another £400+.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#7 Re: The Yoof! Efi Conversion. These Guys will Go Far.

Post by MarekH » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:22 pm

It sounds like an SU copy of what Rick Patton did with Strombergs about fifteen years ago. You should be able to find this on the web if you cross reference him, Stromberg and Triumph. He CNC machined a plate to sandwich into the carburettor and mounted an injector into it.

Aside from the downside of spraying fuel a long way from where it needs to be, it is a neat way of making something appear to be "stock", until you look more closely, that is.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic