Original brake light switch?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#1 Original brake light switch?

Post by rswaffie » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi all,
As mentioned in another post, my car performed faultlessly during the long weekend at the Goodwood Revival, apart from a brake light switch failure. I’ve purchased a couple of the ‘improved’ versions from SNG (one for my spares box in the boot). I swapped out the old one and the new one has sorted the problem. Looking at the old one, it seems to be an original Lucas item, with what looks like a date stamp of 9 63 which ties in with my 11 63 build date. Is this possibly the original switch? I run led brake and tail lamps so I suspect failure my be fluid ingress rather than burnt contacts.

Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Original brake light switch?

Post by Heuer » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:35 pm

Yes it is original Lucas. You may find CU- stamped on the side denoting it is copper. Suggest you consider installing a mechanical switch in the footwell as a) they are reliable and b) they operate the lights instantly. Simple to do and you can leave the stock one in place as a backup.

Instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3134
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Original brake light switch?

Post by rswaffie » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:07 pm

Thanks David. I installed the wiring and bought a switch for the mechanical upgrade during the restoration, but didn’t get round to making the bracket. I’ve got some steel flat bar somewhere, I’ll see if it will do and have a go at making one. Unless anyone has one already made up?
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Original brake light switch?

Post by Gfhug » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:30 pm

Richard, as I found the bracket is easy to bend to shape, and have a look at Series1 Stu’s version of the bracket in the above topic, you might get his drawings to help?

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Original brake light switch?

Post by rswaffie » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:58 pm

:thankyouyellow:
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#6 Re: Original brake light switch?

Post by rswaffie » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:14 pm

The bracket has been fabricated, painted and installed with the mechanical switch. I managed to find the wiring I had previously installed (neatly tucked away and labelled behind the steering column) and all connected up and tested.
That should prevent a recurrence of no brake lights and also reduce any lag between the operation of the pedal and the lights coming on.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#7 Re: Original brake light switch?

Post by Gfhug » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:09 pm

Good news Richard. I cobbled together a high level third brake light in the rear window and have been told it is a very good modification. Have you upgraded your reverse light to incorporate a brake light? If not well worth doing.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#8 Re: Original brake light switch?

Post by JerryL770 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:29 pm

I guess I really do need to fit the mechanical brake light on my S2 as folks following me say that my LED lights flicker at times. I don't know if it's a poor contact in the switch or due to me treading too lightly on the pedal.

I converted my rear lights to LEDs using Marek's lights including the combined reversing/brake light in place of one of the reflector lenses: no need to fork out for replacement Elan +2 lenses :bigrin:

Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rswaffie
Great Britain

#9 Re: Original brake light switch?

Post by rswaffie » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:47 pm

I have looked into an led high-level brake light but haven’t found anything that I’m happy with. The reverse light is a neat option but not something I’ll be adding.
Richard

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic